ABOUT THE VENTURE
- Elenas is a social selling platform for consumer products ($260 billion USD market in LatAm in relevant categories). Our unique digital direct sales model leverages the power of personal relationships and the scalability of marketplaces in order to improve income opportunities for millions of women across Latin America
- Elenas (www.elenas.la) was chosen as one of the top 15 tech start-ups in Latin America for TechCrunch Startup Battlefield (https://tcrn.ch/2PoT8ik)
- We have launched our application (http://bit.ly/elenas-app), secured seed funding, and are already scaling across Colombia with +100% MoM revenue growth over the first 4 months. Over 10,000 registered sellers and growing fast
- Elenas is a Polymath Ventures company based in Bogotá, Colombia. Polymath has built 7 social impact-focused businesses in Latin America, raising over 30 million USD in funding
ABOUT THE ROLE
- We are seeking a strategic and tactical leader who is passionate about developing their team and can handle the growth of a complex business. The COO will work directly alongside the CEO, to continually improve and develop the product and processes in the early stages, and lead the growth of the business far into the future.
- The COO will be directly responsible for acquisition, activation, and retention of both candidates and companies. As we are a young company and are constantly experimenting, we need a COO that will help us take those experiments and create processes that are proven to work. We want you to help different parts of the organization break through roadblocks and set the standard for problem solving and experimentation.
- The COO must be a highly analytical in thinker in order to make key strategic decisions to guide the direction of the company. While startup experience is not required, experience and comfort building and leading under great uncertainty is critical. Ambition to think and build big is a must.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Entrepreneurial drive: We are looking for someone who loves to build from scratch and wants to be involved in the business at every level: discussing long-term strategy one day and getting their hands dirty building the next. You should be comfortable with the ambiguity and risk associated with this type of business, but excited about the potential for huge-growth in the near future.
- Getting things done: Our team moves incredibly fast and this person needs to be able to plan and execute quickly without excuses. You should be excited about experimenting, figuring out how to get things done yourself and failing fast so that we can continuously improve.
- Leadership presence: You should be someone who inspires others with their passion for the business and the product we’re building. We want a leader who can attract other top talent to the team and help them to grow and learn within our organization.
- Customer focus: At Elenas human-centered design and a customer-first perspective is at the core of who we are. For you, building a solution and product which our clients love should be your top priority.
- 7+ years of working experience in high-growth environments
- True venture entrepreneurial experience (not just pure consultancy or strategy). In order to support our founders, you must come with the experience of building organizations in a complex startup environment.
- Incredible analytical strength
- High empathy
- Exceptional leadership qualities and demonstrated experience leading teams
- Great risk appetite (you should expect high participation, not high salaries)
- Flexible, quick thinking and learning mindset
- Ambition to build an incredible organization
- Long-term commitment to building venture in Colombia
- Fluency in English and Spanish
IMPORTANT COMMENTS ON COMPENSATION AND RISK-TAKING
We work in a highly entrepreneurial environment, with the expectation that all parties involved take real financial risk to build a successful company and thus produce life-changing financial outcomes.
As opposed to building a company on your own, founders receive salaries on day one, as well as the support and guidance of the Polymath Community. Most of our founders are looking to change their career path and become entrepreneurs. At Polymath this usually means taking a significant pay cut. We would typically see a ~4K USD/month salary range in the first year and increasing quite substantially after subsequent funding rounds (roughly each year, as the venture is more capitalized). However, this substantial pay cut is compensated through substantial equity ownership in the business. Thus, should the business be successful (which we work on accomplishing together!), the financial outcomes will be many times more than the financial risk taken.