THE POLYMATH VENTURES APPROACH
Polymath is a company builder designed for emerging markets, designing and building (from scratch) innovative, tech-enabled, scalable ventures rooted in existing consumer behaviors. We are beginning our mission in Latin America, with the goal to build innovative, game-changing companies that serve the needs to the fast-expanding middle class. We are taking a unique, methodological approach to company building: Polymath attracts the best local and international talent to jump into and remain in entrepreneurship, taking founder roles at the helm of our ventures. Polymath co-builds with these founders, taking a hands-on approach throughout the entire venture lifecycle.
Polymath builds tech and data-driven companies. A common thread across our ventures is that they are platform businesses that take existing offline consumer and SME behavior, and bring them onto digital platforms. Whether it is a financial advisor (Aflore), an auto mechanic (Autolab), or a taxi driver (Táximo), our platforms offer user-centered UX, collect structured data, and leverage powerful algorithms to increase the productivity of the service provided.
WE ARE SEEKING A TECH -AND DATA- FOCUSED PARTNER TO SUPPORT OUR GROWTH
Polymath Ventures is looking for a new member to join the senior ranks of the organization. We have grown tremendously over the last 6 years of operation, with now over 300 amazing staff across the portfolio. With Polymath’s expansion from Colombia into new markets, we need exceptional, senior individuals that will allow us to grow to the next level.
We are specifically seeking a Partner charged with leading the Tech & Data function inside Polymath. This has become and will continue to be a critical function of the Polymath group: from how we design tech-enabled companies from scratch and leverage data to continuously improve their business model, to how we improve customer experience and help our companies scale massively through data.
Along with leading the Tech & Data function, the new member will play the role of Partner in the organization — a role extending well beyond the limits of tech and data.
This new Partner should be based in Bogotá, Colombia or CDMX, Mexico.
WHO ARE POLYMATH PARTNERS?
We have intentionally built Polymath as a partnership because we know that in order to scale the work we do, we must have world-class talent with varied perspectives that can handle complex company building. We know that in order to build a world-changing organization, we need to continue to bring more exceptional talent into it.
Partners are top-caliber business thinkers and operators who play critical roles across the Polymath group. With exceptional intellectual and leadership skills, a partner leads teams through the design and acceleration of an early-stage, rapidly growing Polymath company. Within the Polymath context, a Partner could immediately serve as the interim-CEO for one of our early-stage companies.
In addition, Partners are placed in venture advisory roles, supporting the long-term growth and eventual successful exit of the company. Thus, the ability to help guide and influence venture founding teams and the direction of ventures on a strategic and operational level is paramount. To be clear, Partners are not consultants to our companies. They are fully integrated within Polymath, leading teams to overcome key challenges and steering the direction of the company. We are looking for operational-minded leaders who can support our venture founders, side by side.
FURTHER ROLE DETAILS
- Lead the Technology & Data “Function” of the Polymath organization
- Using technology as a lens, influence the design of our ventures -- in the Seed phase of company building and in pivot phases of operating ventures
- Provide strong oversight and direction to our accelerating companies, across a number of areas: tech strategy, tech team and structure needed to accomplish objective or support on what and how to build technology based on company-stage, among others
- Develop tech & data oversight structure/model (example: monthly review sessions with all companies)
- Play deep support and development role for the CEOs and Technology leads (CTO, VP Engineering, etc) of the ventures — helping them to develop their abilities to manage a tech and data-driven organization
- Play key role in assisting ventures find and recruit best technology talent in Latin America and beyond
- Play key role in helping develop and retain tech and data talent in organization
- Play key role in managing external advisory network of powerhouse technologists
- Play critical role as Partner, extending beyond limits of tech and data
WHY BUILD WITH US?
- Build the first highly successful, global company builder, focused on emerging markets
- Join one of the most talented teams in Latin America
- Join Polymath at an amazing moment in our history, when we are closing significant investment to fuel our next level of growth
- Build ventures that impact customers' lives and employs 1000s of people
- See the direct results of every ounce of sweat (and tears)
WHAT WILL YOU GET?
- Seat at the decision-making table. Partners are the leaders and final decision-makers of the organization. No role has more exposure to all components of what we do.
- Real operational experience. We are not consultants; we are hands-on operators. You will gain exceptional experience in not only designing great companies but building them as well.
- Methodologies to build new ventures. You will gain deep exposure to Polymath’s model of designing and growing new businesses.
- Entrepreneurship in emerging markets. You will gain a deep understanding of building companies within more difficult, yet high-potential markets.
- Working alongside top, diverse talent. You will gain exposure to top global talent from a diverse fields: design, business, technology, etc.
- Balancing business with social impact. You will see how we create value for investors, users, and employees.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS
- Experienced, highly capable entrepreneur (CEO or CTO or other senior leader) leading the creation and/or scale of a technology companies
- Strong abilities in technology, data and product
- High empathy
- Exceptional leadership qualities and demonstrated experience leading teams
- Great risk appetite (you should expect high participation, not high salaries)
- Flexible, quick thinking and learning mindset
- Ambition to build an incredible organization
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Willingness to be bases in Bogotá, Colombia or CDMX, Mexico
A FEW OF POLYMATH'S SUCCESSES SO FAR
- 6 ventures operating, since launching Polymath in 2012 (2 more to be launched in 2019)
- Operations in Colombia, Mexico and Peru
- Over 300 people employed across the Polymath group
- Táximo, our first company, operates in Colombia and Peru, and the founders have become Endeavor Entrepreneurs. Recently closed a Series B round of financing.
Aflore, our second company has established itself as one of the most innovative models in Latam to provide greatly needed financial services to an underserved middle class. Aflore closed a substantial Series A round from Fiinlab, an innovation lab of Gentera, a publicly traded financial firm in Mexico. Currently closing Series B round.