Pollen is on a mission to build, curate and deliver the best experiences all over the world. We want to give people a bigger life. When our members think back 10 years over their best memories, we want to be responsible for 3 of the 5 best ones.
We think we can do this by transforming the way experiences are curated and executed by evolving the craft from art-led to science-led and achieving unprecedented scale. Data, science and technology are at the centre of this evolution and our Director of Analytics & Data Science will make a critical contribution by building and leading cross functional data teams who work together to enable owners of performance to be self-serve scientists of their own performance.
Leaders at Pollen are the people who create the space for others to succeed. They partner across the organisation to build teams, develop individuals and inspire others to play to their strengths as they contribute to Pollen’s mission. They work with the People team, and functional leads, to ensure we're delivering our employment promise of Freedom & Ownership, Mastery and Belonging. They proactively surface the data barriers that keep us from achieving our mission, clearly articulate them before taking ownership of (or advocating for) how we overcome them.
The Analytics & Data Science lead role in particular is one where mastery in leadership is combined with seasoned analytical practices to help build scientific capacity within our organisation. As a result of their actions and direction, everyone at Pollen is better equipped to use data to observe, understand, predict and influence our performance.
In the first 12 months you will:
- Lead the self-service science journey at Pollen by activating through others. Take 5 Pollen-wide focus areas (e.g. customer experience, hotel supply management, experience unit economics, etc) to a self-service level (i.e. where owners of those areas can routinely understand and influence their performance without the direct support of data professionals) by building dedicated support teams who own enabling them. Success will be measured in the number of documented actions taken within each area of ownership as a result of self-service data products, in addition to the trust you build with the partners you’re enabling.
- Be like Yoda! Primarily lead by mentoring, supporting and activating through others, but unconstrain the team when they hit complex analytical barriers by clarifying and simplifying the domain, introducing conceptual and metric frameworks, structuring prediction problems or otherwise advising on a first move to help them get going (and then get better). Success will be measured in the number of consecutive monthly retros where the team has been blocked due to a lack of clarity and/or formalisation around the problems they need to solve.
- Be a leader in the Art to Science movement across Pollen and continuously evolve our self-serve strategy. Collaborate with other leaders throughout our organisation to leverage data, insights and scientific thinking in everything we do by introducing new perspectives & learning opportunities and contributing to the culture of safety & openness around data, our performance and beyond. Success here will be measured through the unanimous consensus across fellow leaders in the space that you’re making a significant contribution to enabling them to use data to be more scientific.
- Continuously surface data team barriers and help us evolve to overcome them. Continuously move the data organisation towards high performance by working with the data leadership team* to surface issues affecting team safety, motivation and impact and implementing necessary changes to our regular rhythms on a monthly basis. Success will be measured by the absence of recurring themes for improvement in data-wide retros. *Currently data leadership consists of a data engineering lead, a data & analytics product manager, an agile coach, this newly opened role and the VP data.
- Build out the team. Build out a multi-skilled and multi-talented data team, including analytics engineers, analysts and data scientists, by attracting and hiring a diverse group. Success will be measured by the number of new hires who reach their 12 months anniversary
- Focus on maintaining a sense of belonging as we grow. Fostering a genuine sense of belonging, where people feel they can be themselves in their team, with their stakeholders and all throughout Pollen. Success will be measured in the number of consecutive quarters with a Belonging score of 8 or above on our People Survey.
What you’ll love
- Being in a fast growing organisation built on the drivers of intrinsic motivation -- Freedom & Ownership, Mastery and Belonging -- and loving what you do
- Embracing a passion for learning, fostering a growth mindset and overcoming limiting beliefs so you become 10x better than when you joined
- Getting to know more about what gives you energy, what you’re really good at and being supported by an experienced development champion as you pursue further mastery and drive your own development
- Enjoy the freedom to work where you need, when you need, taking as many holidays as you need so you can stay motivated and achieve your results in the best way possible
About our culture
- We are results focused so you can choose your own hours & take as much vacation as you need to drive results and perform at your best. Watch our CEO talk about our innovative culture.
- Read our CEO’s open letter about our focus on Belonging, and about the mission of our women’s programme Illuminate.
- Everyone is an equity owner in the company.
Find out more about our culture and life at Pollen on Instagram.
Pollen builds, curates, and delivers the best travel experiences using technology, a network of global partners, and a data-driven customer-led mindset – pairing world class entertainment with the world’s most exciting destinations.
Pollen brings you all the best experiences on pollen.co. We have two offerings: Pollen Presents and Pollen+. Pollen Presents curates experiences around your tastes and preferences you can’t find anywhere else. These experiences bring together music, sports, wellness and beyond to enable you and your friends to connect around one-of-a-kind itineraries in exciting destinations. Pollen+ always gets you more at music festivals and events when you book through us. Pollen+ partners with the biggest promoter brands and music festivals, including We Are FSTVL, Austin City Limits, Bonnaroo, C3, Electric Zoo, Live Nation and more.
Pollen was founded in 2014 by brothers Callum & Liam Negus-Fancey. Pollen is backed by prominent investors including Kindred, Northzone, Sienna Capital, Backed and Draper Spirit. Pollen has raised over $100 million in VC funding.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Streetteam Software Limited t/a Pollen (“Controller”), which is located at 3 Loughborough Street, Vauxhall, London, SE11 5RB and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Controller’s privacy officer is Stephanie Ng-Fragner, who can be contacted at email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. In the event that you are unsuccessful during the recruitment process, your personal data will still be retained by Controller for up to a year for the purposes of assessing your application for future vacancies. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. Please notify us if you would like your personal data erased. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority, including the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK regulator for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk).