In case this isn't obvious: you need insurance. The distaste you just felt at the word “insurance” is what drives us to upend the industry. Financial protection might never be super fun, but at least it can be easy.
Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup with a mission to help people get the financial protection they need and have them feel good about it. We are changing a massive industry by making insurance shopping faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since our launch in 2014, we’ve achieved rapid growth in a notoriously difficult industry and established ourselves as a pioneer in a now hot sector of FinTech. We're at an exciting inflection point, having raised over $52 million of venture capital, and we're focused on building out our powerhouse team. Think of us as a one-stop-shop for all the financial protection you’ll ever need.
About the role
Have you built and brought a product to market that meaningfully impacted your customers? Do you have a deep passion for building elegant products that solve complex customer problems? In the Senior Product Manager, role, you will develop, own, and execute product strategies that help millions of customers with their protection needs. Exciting stuff!
You will work directly with product leadership to identify and define product priorities and act as a player-coach to other PMs on the team. You will partner with other Policygenius leaders to ensure our product, design and engineering roadmap align with our company goals to help people get the protection they need and have them feel good about it.
Product at Policygenius has two components:
- The strategic: answering what we do, why we do it and when we do it
- The tactical: figuring out how we do it, doing it and determining whether it worked
As a Senior PM, you’ll balance both problem-solving and process, the strategic and the tactical, and bring a deep understanding of the interplay between design, engineering, and business to the development and optimization of our digital products. You will manage the day-to-day work of a cross-functional team (spanning design, engineering, marketing and operations) to implement the product vision of the company.
- Conduct research and analyses to inform product strategy decisions
- Take an ambiguous problem, quickly generate and structure rigorous and testable hypotheses, and get to an answer efficiently
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining a product roadmap including:
- Define the business and user requirements for the product and work with design and engineering to scope out their respective work
- Translate the strategy into the tactical components: features, stories and workplans
- Quarterback the build and implementation with design and engineering; problem-solve blockers; own the business parts of product
- Own the tactical product process: story creation, ticket acceptance, asset management and the product feature pipeline
- Manage the team to the workplan and deadlines
- Communicate status updates, at the right level and frequency, to the appropriate stakeholders
- Ensure the timely delivery of the product that meets the Policygenius high bar for user experience
- Define the key KPIs for product performance and work with the data & analytics team to instrument product tracking and reporting
- Support commercialization and launch of the product with the product marketing team
- Act as a player-coach and mentor to other PMs on the team--coaching PMs while still performing Sr PM-level activities as necessary
- Lead, with support from product marketing, post-launch product optimization initiatives, including: user feedback interviews, A/B tests, bug tracking, conversion funnel monitoring & improvement, and new feature requests
- 3+ years experience working with product teams, with clear, demonstrable results.
- A track record of delivering complex projects with agile development teams and regular product release cycles
- A solid understanding of user-centered design (creating user stories, approaching problems from user needs, etc.)
- An ability to work cross-functionally across departments to prioritize and build products that delight customers, and deliver on company goals
- A strong analytical orientation; focus on data driven analytics and ability to measure success
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral; strong presentation skills
- The ability to balance the strategic with the tactical, insightful problem-solving skills, and the experience to influence outcomes
- STEM undergraduate and/or master’s degree preferred
- Background in computer science / software engineering preferred
Working at Policygenius…
- Competitive compensation and company-paid health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- A custom-designed office between Flatiron and Union Square
- 401k plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for paid training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to say you were one of the early employees in the company that’s going to shake up a big, old-fashioned industry!
- FUN, diverse, open-minded coworkers!
- Dog companionship!!
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)