In case this isn't obvious: you need insurance. The distaste you just felt at the word “insurance” is what drives us to upend the industry. Financial protection might never be super fun, but at least it can be easy.
PolicyGenius is a NYC-based tech startup with a mission to help people get the financial protection they need and have them feel good about it. We are changing a massive industry by making insurance shopping faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since our launch in 2014, we’ve achieved rapid growth in a notoriously difficult industry and established ourselves as a pioneer in a now hot sector of FinTech. We're at an exciting inflection point, having raised over $52 million of venture capital, and we're focused on building out our powerhouse team. Think of us as a one-stop-shop for all the financial protection you’ll ever need.
Are you a people person? Do you like helping others solve problems and navigate their own way? Eager to be on your toes in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment? We’re looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic individual to join the PolicyGenius People team and report to the VP of People!
The People team is the mainstay of PolicyGenius’ values and culture--and the HR Business Partner is our compass! You will work alongside key stakeholders to craft and carry out people programs to foster employee fulfillment and organizational effectiveness. As a people leader, you’ll help to deliver high-impact initiatives, design innovative programs, and develop processes across a myriad of strategic HR functions--including people development, talent management, org planning, employee relations, HR compliance, benefits, and compensation.
As the first HR Business Partner hire at PG, you will get to play an integral role in developing PG’s people strategy, enhancing people practices & culture, and building some processes from the ground up!
- A natural, authentic people leader. Colleagues look to you for direction and feel supported by you because you are genuinely and selflessly passionate about coaching and thought-partnership. You have a knack for building trust-based relationships at all levels.
- Nimble. You know how to zoom out to think on behalf of an organization and can zoom in to tackle nuances at an individual level. You can pivot quickly on-the-fly--a listening ear to a concerned employee one moment and a trusted advisor to leadership the next.
- Fluent in “people problem-solving.” You’re a quick study who can chart the best course of action while accounting for potential impact across people, teams, and the company.
- Intrinsically curious. You are a creative thinker and innovative problem solver who is never not looking for ways to better what exists at PG.
- High-caliber and trustworthy. You are a great listener, possess strong interpersonal skills, and are quick to build trust. You maintain objective, honest, and clear communications--both written and verbal.
- Aligned with PG’s people philosophy. You believe in the impact of building a high-performing culture, understand the work that is necessary to keep employees engaged to meet company goals, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get us there. You know how to use data and tech to glean insights.
- Able to take the wheel before being asked. You consistently raise the bar on delivering a top-notch product. You are a self-driven and diligent project manager who is highly motivated, highly process-driven with exceptional attention to detail, and super-organized with great follow-through.
- Respond to HR-related questions and matters--including policy drafting and translation, leaves of absence, benefits (via our PEO) offerings, immigration, performance improvement, organizational planning, labor relations, employee relations, onboarding, and offboarding.
- Work with relevant stakeholders (i.e. leadership, managers, the people team, etc) to help drive people programs and talent model strategy--including performance management, compensation, talent development & feedback, employee engagement & retention, and internal communications.
- Partner with the VP of People and leadership on org design, planning, and execution to scale with the needs of the company.
- Provide coaching/guidance on skill-building, professional development, career pathing, change management, collaboration, and handling sticky situations to resolution.
- With the VP of People, promote a culture of learning by supporting leaders and emerging leaders with unbiased perspective, counsel, and direct, caring feedback.
- Seek opportunities to leverage technology and/or more automation wherever you spot out inefficiencies to better PG’s practices--i.e. communication, collaboration, processes.
- Wear your compliance goggles--including maintaining documentation, staying current on employment law, and liaising with outside counsel where necessary.
- Analyze trends and utilize data to inform, develop people programs, and influence change.
- Lean in on other special projects and administration as needed by leadership.
- 7+ years of professional (ideally start-up) experience in various aspects of HR. Must have team leadership and people management experience.
- In-depth understanding of HR programs--including total rewards, leadership development, coaching, performance management, compliance/labor relations.
- Proven, stellar written communication, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills--across all levels of an organization.
- Unquestioned integrity with assertiveness, presence, and confidence.
- Self-awareness and openness to learn and grow.
- Distinctive project management, change management, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and skilled at wearing multiple hats and juggling many balls.
- Excitement about working at and growing with a fintech startup company.
- Competence in making timely, effective, principles-based decisions and judgment calls.
- Tenacity and ability to build from scratch.
- A self-starter mindset who is comfortable taking on significant responsibility--no matter how administrative or strategic it is.
- Demonstrated ability to manage layers of complexity across multiple sets of stakeholders.
- High level of proven productivity in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Competitive compensation and company-paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- A new, custom-designed office between Flatiron and Union Square
- 401k plan, FSA & One Medical membership, and commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO policy!!
- Mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to say you were one of the early employees in the company that’s going to shake up a big, old-fashioned industry!
- FUN, diverse, open-minded coworkers!
- Dog companionship!!
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)