In case this isn't obvious: you need insurance. The distaste you just felt at the word “insurance” is what drives us to upend the industry. Financial protection might never be super fun, but at least it can be easy.
PolicyGenius is a NYC-based tech startup with a mission to help people get the financial protection they need and have them feel good about it. We are changing a massive industry by making insurance shopping faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since our launch in 2014, we’ve achieved rapid growth in a notoriously difficult industry and established ourselves as a pioneer in a now hot sector of FinTech. We're at an exciting inflection point, having raised over $52 million of venture capital, and we're focused on building out our powerhouse team. Think of us as a one-stop-shop for all the financial protection you’ll ever need.
About the role…
Have you built a world class analytics organization whose insights influenced the trajectory of a business? Are you passionate about using data to shape all parts of a business and drive value through learning and continuous improvement? As Head of Data, you will be responsible for building, growing, and managing a data and analytics team that serves as the backbone of decision-making across the company.
In the first role of its kind, you will report directly to the CEO and work with the co-founders to identify and define strategic opportunities across departments. You will partner with other PolicyGenius leaders to help them uncover mission critical insights that have meaningful impact on how they operate and tackle their goals.
Examples of initiatives in which you’ll play a lead role:
- Work across the company to prioritize and develop the core metrics by which we’ll measure success
- Work with the marketing team to build a world class growth engine fueled by data
- Work with product to optimize and personalize funnels to deliver a tailored experience for every PolicyGenius customer
- Work with operations to increase conversion and empower them to deliver best-in-class customer service
- Work with engineering to develop complex quoting and recommendation algorithms that become the gold standard in the insurance industry
- Work with finance to accurately track complex commission structures to ensure we’re paid correctly and on time
- Lead the analytics and data science team, including but not limited to: setting the analytics/data science strategy of the company, managing and mentoring analysts on the team, and scaling the team to meet the needs of the company
- Work with the management team to set the strategic vision of the company and identify opportunities where outcomes can be improved through data-driven management
- Work across the entire organization to help define, set, and track OKRs for success
- Partner with cross-functional teams to frame business questions, determine analytic approaches, and turn data into insights and insights into actionable business decisions
- Work closely with Product, Marketing, Operations and Engineering to deliver operational results
- Work with product and engineering to develop accurate quoting engines that will be leveraged internally and by the industry at large
- Participate in company strategy development and operational capacity allocations
- Manage the entire analytics technology stack
- Evangelize the best practices and tools for accessing data to make data-driven decisions throughout the entire organization
- 8+ years of work experience in analytics or data science, working with big datasets in the financial and/or consumer online industries. 4+ years of experience managing a team, with proven ability to attract and inspire top talent in analytics and data science
- A history of successfully recruiting and performance-managing analytic teams; skilled at developing and managing people while preparing them for future roles, setting performance expectations, and instilling a values-based team culture
- An advanced degree in Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Statistics, or other quantitative field
- Experience in some combination of the following fields: marketing analytics, website analytics, product analytics, statistics, data science, quant research
- An extensive track record that demonstrates effectiveness in driving business results through advanced analytics across a broad array of problems
- The ability to distill complex statistical concepts and methodologies, and articulate insights to cross-functional teams and clients with varying levels of knowledge in this space
- A successful history of translating business objectives and problems into analytic problems, and analytic solutions into actionable business solutions
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral; strong presentation skills
- The ability to balance the strategic with the tactical, insightful problem-solving skills, and the experience to influence outcomes
- Expertise in analytics programming/query tools (R, SQL, etc.) and business intelligence tools (Tableau, etc.)
- Expertise in crafting A/B tests and multivariate tests
Working at PolicyGenius...
- Competitive compensation and company-paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- A new, custom-designed office between Flatiron and Union Square
- 401k plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Unlimited vacation!!
- Mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to say you were one of the early employees in the company that’s going to shake up a big, old-fashioned industry!
- FUN, diverse, open-minded coworkers!
- Dog companionship!!
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)