In case this isn't obvious: you need insurance. The distaste you just felt at the word “insurance” is what drives us to upend the industry. Financial protection might never be super fun, but at least it can be easy.
PolicyGenius is a NYC-based tech startup with a mission to help people get the financial protection they need and have them feel good about it. We are changing a massive industry by making insurance shopping faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since our launch in 2014, we’ve achieved rapid growth in a notoriously difficult industry and established ourselves as a pioneer in a now hot sector of FinTech. We're at an exciting inflection point, having raised over $52 million of venture capital, and we're focused on building out our powerhouse team. Think of us as a one-stop-shop for all the financial protection you’ll ever need.
We love to learn. And to ask questions. We’re passionate, caring and a little quirky. We hope there is something non-work related that gets you really excited, because we’d love to share in it.
We’ll set you up with whichever tools you need to succeed (hardware, software, books, etc). And you’ll work in our sweet new office space in Flatiron!
We’re into Agile and Lean, with an emphasis on light process that keeps us focused and happy. We perform code reviews in Github, we pair program and we keep ourselves in check with continuous integration.
What you will do...
- Work full stack and across code bases in support of our platform
- Participate and lead software architecture design sessions
- Employ TDD as one of your principal methodologies
- Collaborate cross-functionally on all aspects of our products
- Be a mentor and mentee depending on the subject matter and your interests
- Lead project teams from start to completion
- Provide technical support to other engineers and be a go-to for a part of our stack
- Influence the technical direction of our stack and architecture
- Work closely with Product and Design to build products our users love!
What we expect from you...
- You have a minimum of 5+ years experience in software engineering (preferably with web technologies)
- You’re a Ruby or Node developer (or at least want to become one), a minimalist and a pragmatist who likes to write clean code
- You have led multiple projects from start to completion
- You have designed, deployed and scaled real-world web apps
- You have a solid understanding of object oriented design and design patterns and know when to use them (and more importantly, when NOT to use them)
- You consider testing to be an integral part of your coding workflow
- You not only follow best practices (testing, continuous integration, refactoring, consistent code standards), but you help set them
- You know how to strike a balance between building sustainable software systems and shipping product!
- You know how to ask the right questions and are comfortable articulating your thoughts and decisions
- You are a solid communicator and are able to translate engineering related items to non-technical stakeholders
- You are actively engaged in our dev community (open source, tech meetups, etc)
- You have experience with SOA and/or microservices
Technologies we use...
- React, Redux, GraphQL, Apollo Client
- HTML, CSS, SASS
- Buildkite, Docker, Kubernetes
- BLT, SCUBA, JFK, UFO, TBD, BBQ, LOL
Working at PolicyGenius…
- Competitive compensation and company-paid health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- A new, custom-designed office between Flatiron and Union Square
- 401k plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Unlimited vacation!!
- Mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to say you were one of the early employees in the company that’s going to shake up a big, old-fashioned industry!
- FUN, diverse, open-minded coworkers!
- Dog companionship!!
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)