In case this isn't obvious: you need insurance. The distaste you just felt at the word “insurance” is what drives us to upend the industry. Financial protection might never be super fun, but at least it can be easy.
PolicyGenius is a NYC-based tech startup with a mission to help people get the financial protection they need and have them feel good about it. We are changing a massive industry by making insurance shopping faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since our launch in 2014, we’ve achieved rapid growth in a notoriously difficult industry and established ourselves as a pioneer in a now hot sector of FinTech. We're at an exciting inflection point, having raised over $52 million of venture capital, and we're focused on building out our powerhouse team. Think of us as a one-stop-shop for all the financial protection you’ll ever need.
Reporting into the VP of Operations, you will own the company’s inside sales function and shape the sales culture at our growing company. We’ve built the foundation for a small but productive sales team -- one that converts inbound insurance leads into in force policies -- and it will be your job to determine our long term sales strategy and lead the team to success.
You should be an experienced sales leader who can motivate and coach our existing team while recruiting top talent to PolicyGenius. You can operate at both the strategic and tactical level, and know when to toggle between the two. You’ve got both a sales mindset and an intuitive feel for optimal sales processes and quality performance. Above all, your contagious passion for sales stems from helping the customers and the company to succeed.
- Working with the VP of Operations, set sales team SLAs and daily, weekly, and monthly targets; drive execution in line with those metrics
- Proactively identify and problem-solve issues related to lead conversion, lead quality, team capacity and service levels
- Provide timely and accurate executive-level reports of inside sales performance and forecasts of org needs
- Own all aspects of people leadership and success in the inside sales org: recruiting, onboarding/training/continuing ed, licensing, performance management, compensation, career development, team structuring, staffing forecasting, scheduling/timekeeping, day-to-day tactical coaching and mentoring
- Create a values-oriented team environment that rewards achievement, accountability and teamwork
- Develop and own the inside sales “playbook” for the company, including: multi-channel contact strategy for inbound leads, outbound and inbound call procedures, team workflows, escalation procedures, hours of operations, up/cross-selling, and quality assurance
- A/B test and optimize scripts, contact strategies, team structures, workflows, etc. to drive results and continuous improvement
- Working with the VP of Operations, develop and execute the inside sales strategy to support new product offerings
Professional qualifications and attributes
- Proven track record of individual sales achievement and sales team leadership; minimum 5 years of senior-level sales experience
- Experience hiring, training, managing and scaling a high-performing inside sales team in a fast-paced environment
- Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate and inspire a team to improve their performance in a call center environment
- Deep knowledge of contact strategy, call center operations and inside sales best practices
- Passionate about coaching and mentoring on sales and customer engagement skills such as empathetic listening, objection-handling and closing
- Outstanding ability to forecast, set goals & objectives and monitor sales activity and analyze data to improve sales effectiveness
- Strong sales mindset and client problem-solving orientation
- Ability to nimbly manage competing priorities while wearing multiple hats -- comfortable building the plane and flying it at the same time
- Ability to think critically through unique problems with no set playbook and quickly implement a path to the solution
- Understanding of the market and competitive landscape in which the company operates and ability to use that to shape sales scripts and training
- Skilled at building trust with direct reports, peers and leadership – shows empathy, honesty and integrity. Able to have difficult conversations successfully
Working at PolicyGenius…
- Competitive compensation and company-paid health, dental, vision, disability, & life insurance
- A brand-new, custom designed office between Flatiron and Union Square
- 401k plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Any equipment you need to do your job
- Paid training and unlimited vacation
- Mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to say you were one of the early employees in the company that’s going to shake up a big, old-fashioned industry!
- FUN, diverse, open-minded coworkers!
- Dog companionship!!
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)