In case this isn't obvious: you need insurance. The distaste you just felt at the word “insurance” is what drives us to upend the industry. Financial protection might never be super fun, but at least it can be easy.
PolicyGenius is a NYC-based tech startup with a mission to help people get the financial protection they need and have them feel good about it. We are changing a massive industry by making insurance shopping faster, friendlier and more transparent for online consumers. Since our launch in 2014, we’ve achieved rapid growth in a notoriously difficult industry and established ourselves as a pioneer in a now hot sector of FinTech. We're at an exciting inflection point, having raised over $52 million of venture capital, and we're focused on building out our powerhouse team. Think of us as a one-stop-shop for all the financial protection you’ll ever need.
Design at PolicyGenius
At PolicyGenius we’re fortunate to have founders and team leadership that recognize design as our primary problem solving tool--not just a method for producing attractive interfaces. This means no thankless slogs trying to get buy in on major design/product initiatives. We’re all aware that our task is to reshape the way real people make informed decisions about their safety nets, and that design plays a major role in those journeys.
Our design team is small, which means everything you do will be high-impact. We pair with other team members very frequently, and we value informed dissent. Seriously.
Visual Design vs. Product Design
There isn't a true separation between visual design and product design here at PolicyGenius. However, for this position we want your specialty and expertise to be in high quality visual craft. We only hire folks with solid visual/design principles, but you'll be expected to lead in this area, pushing our visual language to the next level.
- A well-rounded product designer, who has excellent visual skills, and is eager to join our team of engineers, writers, user researchers, and insurance experts working to solve a big problem in a non-sucky way.
- Hungry. You’ve been described as a ‘killer problem solver’, and are looking to have one of those Lady & The Tramp spaghetti moments with your next employer.
- Someone who can roll with the punches. Always prepared to jump in and out of different work-streams across marketing, branding, research, and UX/UI projects.
- Excited to shape the culture of the product & design teams here at PG.
- Willing to dig into an enormous, consumer-facing challenge that is being experienced by millions of people everyday.
What we expect from you….
- 4+ years of experience with a sharp focus on efficient, enjoyable UIs
- You'd likely rate your skill sets in this order: UI - UX - User Research
- Strong traditional design skills. You can up-skill quickly on the things you're not familiar with, and already know what you want to learn next.
- Experience creating interfaces across a variety of devices/screens
- Ability to shift your aesthetic to match project requirements
- Solid understanding of user-centered design (creating user stories, approaching problems from user needs, etc.)
- Ability to recognize the need to sidestep perfection to get things done.
- Adept communication skills. You’re able to ask the right questions, articulate decisions, and probe for requirements from other disciplines on the team.
- Basic understanding of user testing and user research with an innate need to seek out user feedback.
- Active engagement in the design community
- You use design to solve real problems, not just fill your dribbble profile
Working at PolicyGenius…
- Competitive compensation and company-paid health, dental, vision, disability, & life insurance
- A brand-new, custom designed office between Flatiron and Union Square
- 401k plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Any equipment you need to do your job
- Paid training and unlimited vacation
- Mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to say you were one of the early employees in the company that’s going to shake up a big, old-fashioned industry!
- FUN, diverse, open-minded coworkers!
- Dog companionship!!
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)