Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy all types of insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve become the nation's leading insurance marketplace, raising over $52 million of venture capital and helping more than 5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're growing rapidly and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of INC's best workplaces two years in a row!
About the role...
Have you meaningfully grown a user base through your own unique, personalized SEO strategies? Do you have a deep passion for ensuring websites deliver a delightful user experience? In the Head of SEO role, you will partner with other Policygenius leaders to ensure our product, content and engineering roadmaps align with our SEO strategy and audience growth goals. This is a unique opportunity to play a leadership role in driving a comprehensive and innovative SEO program for a large financial services marketplace. The role requires day-to-day management of strategy and programs, including onsite optimization, product initiatives, cross-functional collaboration, engaging content development and analysis and reporting.
To date, Policygenius has developed and executed against a comprehensive SEO strategy that has resulted in ~1m visitors/month. We have inhouse content and product teams dedicated to building our organic reach, and we’re looking for a seasoned leader to develop the next phase of our SEO growth strategy and challenge the content incumbents within personal finance. With a revenue model that doesn’t rely on ad or affiliate revenue to be successful, we have a significant advantage to scale and invest in this next phase of organic growth.
- Develop, manage, and evolve our SEO strategy, roadmap & vision to meaningfully grow our audience
- Develop and clearly articulate business cases for investment, tying outcomes to measurable KPIs including revenue and user acquisition
- Own responsibility for developing SEO product and technical priorities, working with our content product team to prioritize the product roadmap and balance organic growth with user experience
- Partner closely with the editorial and content teams to develop a successful content marketing strategy
- Own SEO performance, dashboards, and data from other platforms, and use insights to inform future strategy and priorities
- Identify key structural, technical, & editorial optimizations to improve the performance of our core pages
- Lead research into SEO industry trends, including algorithm updates, AMP, and schema
- Build and develop a team to support our organic growth efforts over time
- 8+ years of experience running SEO teams to drive revenue via SEO and content marketing
- Experience with the tactics of on-page (e.g., server-side rendering, crawling, natural language generation and SEO A/B testing) and off-page SEO across all major search engines
- A proven ability to scale organic search at a stage beyond where we are at today (~1m visitors/month)
- A reputation as an industry leader; you’re heavily involved in the SEO community
- Competitive drive and a sense of urgency, creativity, and curiosity for how we can continue to outperform the competition in SEO
- A demonstrated ability to develop an in-house team and manage agency partners
- Solid consumer focus and appreciation for the importance of delivering a great user experience
- Exceptional analytical skills and the ability to identify and communicate out insights
- Adept communication skills and the ability to ask the right questions, articulate decisions, and probe for requirements from other disciplines on the team
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)