Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy all types of insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve become the nation's leading insurance marketplace, raising over $52 million of venture capital and helping more than 5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're growing rapidly and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of INC's best workplaces two years in a row!
About the role...
We are looking for an experienced leader to run our Business Operations department. The Business Operations (BizOps) function at Policygenius works on the highest impact business problems we face. Reporting directly into the CEO and leading a multidisciplinary team, the Head of BizOps is responsible for delivering what’s needed to move Policygenius forward on its ambitious plan to become a leader in fintech.
To be successful in this role, you must have experience building and leading a business operations team (or similar function) at a growth-stage tech company. You should have a highly analytical background, with deep experience in cross-functional problem-solving and a laser focus on distilling insights from data to optimize processes, increase conversion and revenue, and deliver real business impact. The ideal candidate is a creative business leader and skilled operator who gets things done, communicates and manages stakeholders effectively, and is comfortable operating within a fast-paced growth company environment.
- Design, hire, and manage a business operations function that supports the growth goals of our business and serves our customer needs
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop, champion, and launch new initiatives; incubate new service lines and offerings to prepare them for scale
- Take complete ownership of, and accountability for, high priority projects/programs from end-to-end: business case, alternatives evaluation, scope, cost, risks, interdependencies, workplan, implementation, impact measurement, scaling and iteration
- Develop new business models, organizational structures and cross-functional initiatives to increase synergies across the company and drive long-term business sustainability
- Increase business predictability and transparency by owning our regular reporting; proactively generate and act on insights to improve performance
- Level up our business intelligence and analytics capabilities to support business goals and ensure consistency in how we use our data to influence decision-making
- Author, manage, and deliver executive-level reporting, including regular and ad hoc status reports to manage risk and improve team communication and collaboration
- Support the CEO in strategic planning, organizational planning, and business rhythm processes, aligning with other functions to develop budgets, objectives and key results (OKRs), resource and capital plans, etc.
- Stay on top of industry and consumer trends to explore new markets and business models; create forward-looking forecasts, conduct competitive assessments, and evaluate recommendations for strategic growth and monetization
- 10+ years experience in strategy and business operations roles in a startup or high-growth environment
- 2+ years of experience at a top-tier management consulting firm, investment bank or PE/VC firm; MBA preferred
- Excellent people management skills and a track record of designing and building business operations teams, from recruiting to performance management; experience hiring and managing analytical, BI and data roles preferred
- Demonstrated success identifying, implementing, managing and measuring the drivers of best-in-class company performance
- A strong problem-solving track record –you’re able to think critically through unique problems with no set playbook and quickly implement a path to a solution, and you can toggle effortlessly between big picture strategy and in-the-weeds tactical problem-solving
- Natural curiosity and exceptional analytical skills – you’re able to structure and process qualitative and quantitative data, formulate and test hypotheses, synthesize your findings and draw insightful conclusions that you can translate into results
- Excellent organization and self-motivation -- you’re able to plan and manage projects & budgets with a tight focus on execution and attention to detail, and can independently prioritize and drive initiatives to successful completion
- The ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company, including junior colleagues, peers, and executive leadership (including the company’s board of directors)
- A demonstrated results-orientation, with strong decision-making skills and the ability to prioritize multiple objectives while meeting aggressive deadlines
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)