Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer in Fintech and helped more than 4.5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing and looking for people with grit, great attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
When you're a Data Engineer at Policygenius…
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented yet humble software engineering team is dogma-free and experiment-driven. We are relentless in our drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking engineers like yourself.
As a Data Engineer, your mission will be to build, deliver, and maintain the data warehouse and ETL pipelines. You will be playing a critical role in helping business stakeholders making decisions rooted in data (good data). Other engineers will rely on you to advise on data modeling, database optimizations, and business stakeholders will look at you to deliver reliable, consistent data for tracking business performance. At Policygenius, you will work alongside passionate engineers who continuously strive to improve our world, our teams and themselves.
- Design, develop and maintain Policygenius’ analytics infrastructure
- Build and deploy batch ETL pipelines using Airflow
- Develop documentation and data dictionaries to ensure clarity and consistency
- Collaborate and train other engineers to code with data in mind
- Support internal stakeholder groups like Business Intelligence and Product in using data to solve business problems
- Work with cutting edge technology, expand your toolset, and share your expertise
- 1+ years of experience with a public cloud provider (e.g. GCP, AWS, Azure, etc.)
- 2+ years of relevant experience in building and maintaining data warehouse, data pipelines, ETL systems
- Solid understanding of OLTP vs. OLAP databases and proven experience in data modeling
- Experience using BI tools (e.g. Tableau, Domo, Looker, etc.) and analytics tools (e.g. MixPanel, Segment, etc.)
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (e.g. Python, Java, Go, etc.)
- Knowledge of basic Machine Learning concepts and experimentation design
- Strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO
- Training, mentorship, and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)
Technologies You Will Use
Airflow, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, Google Functions, Tableau, Python, Node.js, Go, Ruby on Rails, Jupyter Notebook, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, BigQuery, gRPC, Buildkite, Microservices, GraphQL, Git
Policygenius currently spends much of its time using these tools, but we’re committed to working on the right tech for the job, and always open to fresh ideas, new technologies, and better ways of getting things done.