Want to help people get the financial protection they need — and feel confident in their choices? Policygenius is a NYC-based tech startup that makes it easy to compare and buy insurance online. Since 2014, we’ve raised over $52 million of venture capital, established ourselves as a pioneer in fintech and helped more than 4.5 million people get vital coverage for their families.
We're rapidly growing and looking for people with grit, great attitudes and creative problem-solving skills to join our powerhouse team. Come see why we were voted one of INC's best workplaces of 2018!
About the role...
Policygenius is looking for a self-driven person to manage, lead, and further develop our Tech Operations function! We want someone who can support our growing team of 140+ and work with stakeholders to scale ongoing operations of the company’s internal technology (network infrastructure, computer operations & help desk, and server & device management). The ideal candidate is a customer-service driven technical leader who can strategically drive IT planning for future company growth, improve efficiencies in day-to-day operations, and directly manage & develop a team.
Reporting into the VP of People, you will get to play a hands-on, integral role in developing Pg’s Tech Ops strategy, enhancing broader people practices & culture, and building some processes from the ground up!
- Run a function responsible for:
- software & hardware vendor relationships to facilitate procurement, manage patching & upgrades, and test & deploy production systems to support operations
- onboarding and offboarding personnel for access to system software and hardware which includes activities such as updating Slack groups, distros, Google groups, as well as general user administration.
- troubleshooting Mac and PC issues; setup, connectivity, functionality and updates.
- workstation hardening, encryption, anti-virus installation and configuration, etc.
- managing and maintaining our Meraki networking infrastructure
- maintain conference room hardware such as projectors, computing equipment, audio / visual, telephony, etc.
- enterprise email and email security (encryption, phishing response, malware detection, DKIM, DMARC, SPF)
- Move multiple projects forward at the same time, addressing urgency as it may arise, and delegating both internally and externally as needed
- Research relevant technology trends and provide recommendations for cost-effective solutions that provide the organization with a competitive advantage and increased productivity including hosted platform capacity planning and budgeting.
- Act as the point of escalation for resolving all internal IT software, hardware, and wireless network connectivity issues.
- Manage & maintain IT asset inventory and software licensing, and work with management to ensure that systems and software are accurately recorded, tracked, and retired as necessary.
- Establish and periodically report upon KPIs.
- Wear your security and regulatory compliance goggles--including maintaining documentation, staying current on the law, and liaising with outside counsel where necessary.
- Ideally 7+ years of professional (ideally start-up) experience in IT. Must have end-user customer support, team leadership, and minimum of 1-2 years’ people management experience.
- Strong technical knowledge of MacOS, Windows, and a wide variety of SaaS solutions (e.g. G-Suite, Office 365, Slack, Keeper, Atlassian, etc).
- Proven, stellar written communication, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills--across all levels of an organization.
- Distinctive project management, change management, and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and skilled at wearing multiple hats and juggling many balls.
- Competence in making timely, effective, principles-based decisions and judgment calls.
- Tenacity and ability to build from scratch.
- A self-starter mindset who is comfortable taking on significant responsibility--no matter how administrative or strategic it is.
- Demonstrated ability to manage layers of complexity across multiple sets of stakeholders.
- A sense of urgency and high level of proven productivity in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Flexible PTO [for relevant roles]
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship
- Some fun surprises when you join… (Shhh… It’s a secret!)