Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at Pokemon.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/pokemon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
Get to know the role
- Job Title: Manager, Global Esports
- Job Summary: The Manager of Global Esports is responsible for guiding a team and leading the competitive live operations and path to Worlds planning for multiple product categories including the development of quarterly and annual schedules, point systems, player rewards, and other in and out of game incentives. This role is responsible for evaluating the competitive landscape, development long term plans with game developers, and leading the creation of systems that qualify players from North America, Europe, Latin America, MESA, and Oceania to the annual World Championships with a focus on increasing annual engagement and long-term value.
- FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
- People Manager: Yes
What you’ll do
- Coach and mentor esports managers for multiple products including the Pokémon TCG, VG, Pokémon UNITE, and Pokémon GO.
- Develop and manage the path to worlds for multiple products across North America, Europe, Latin America, MESA, and Oceania.
- Plan, budget, and allocate support in line with underlying business and company priorities for each product.
- Manage competitive program and live ops calendars including prizing, digital rewards, incentives, and online event schedule and planning.
- Lead and partner with internal and external teams including game developers to build the path to Worlds for multiple products.
- Work closely with premier event, organized play, and broadcast team to ensure the path to worlds is supported as designed.
- Develop standards of documentation, tracking, and system design to ensure a scientific approach in annual qualification to Worlds.
- Review and align customer service responses to program issues and updates.
- Responsible for continually evaluating and improving the overall execution of the path to worlds.
- Prepare ROI and pitches for game client esport integrations and track performance.
- Develop and track KPIs for each competitive product and provide updates in relation to company goals and objectives.
- Advise game product development team on any relevant product concerns relating to competitive players based on player research and trends.
- Provide leadership for industry objectives, strategy, and content to ensure that esports programs are appropriately designed and supported.
- Develop the esport market data needed to support the customer journey to grow competitive engagement.
- Direct vendors to design and execute esports with global vision.
- Negotiate contracts and manage relationships with outside vendors across 5 continents.
What you’ll bring
- Six+ (6+) years of relevant professional experience, plus one (1) year of management experience.
- Bachelors degree required.
- Five+ (5+) years of experience in esports, organized play, or sports management.
- Deep knowledge and passion for competitive systems and player engagement mechanisms.
- Proven success in managing a team of diverse skill sets and backgrounds including with multi-office reports.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Expert in competitive formats including single elimination, double elimination, swiss, and round robin.
- Expert in competitive systems including season long qualification planning and point design.
- Proven knowledge in defining and executing a short and long term strategy to grow player engagement.
- Outstanding communication skills. The ability to work across teams and communicate esport and event goals/results at a team, executive, and company level.
- Ability to understand and provide constructive review of network diagrams and other technical requirements for tournament play hardware supporting mobile phones and the Nintendo Switch.
- Ability to adapt to changing deadlines, emerging needs, policy changes, and the variety of nuances that can happen in product development.
- Ability to operate at a strategic level to define new competitive opportunities and continually access esport programs for effectiveness and engagement
- Clear thinker and communicator with excellent written and oral communication.
- Proven problem solver, able to discern the crux of an issue, and use good judgment in recommending practical solutions.
- Organized and process-oriented with proven ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Experience of working with external partners, particularly international ones.
- While passion for the Pokémon brand is a plus it is not required, however knowledge of and a willingness to learn more about the brand is a must. Ability to become a SME of multiple products at a competitive level is a must.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: For this role, new hires generally start between $120,800 - $143,450. The full range is $120,800 - $181,000. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. Final base salary is directly related to each candidates' qualifications and professional experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.