Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at Pokemon.com and on Facebook (facebook.com/pokemon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
Get to know the role
Job Title: Manager, Software Engineering
Job Summary: The Manager, Software Engineering will be responsible for ongoing development for Organized Play Software. You will be responsible for designing, developing, and delivering software services that help administrators schedule and organize Pokémon events and help the fans to discover, register and participate in the same. This position works closely with the rest of the Software Engineering, DevOps team members and other stakeholders within the company to create innovative solutions to complex business problems. This position requires constant exercise of discretion in prioritization of work, growing and mentoring the team and solving complex technical challenges.
FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
People Manager: Yes
What you’ll do
- Manage a large team of Software Engineers within the larger Software Engineering department
- Make sure new features that help administrators schedule, organize, and execute Pokémon events are implemented efficiently, securely and delivered on timely manner.
- You define metrics to measure team progress, customer experience, solution quality, and operational excellence.
- You strive for operational excellence and help improve relevant metrics to make a positive impact on the product and its consumers.
- Make sure new features that help fans to discover, register and participate in Pokémon events are implemented efficiently, securely and delivered on timely manner.
- You can independently make short-term vs. long-term decisions. You define clear goals and objectives. You make crisp decisions about what projects move forward and in what priority order.
- Make sure team members document and communicate designs and interfaces for use by other engineers specific to the projects
- You delegate appropriately, assigning the right level of tasks based on the strength and development objectives of the individuals on your team.
What you’ll bring
- Min 5+ years’ experience in multi-tiered web sites
- Min 3+ years’ experience in people management, performance management, promotions, appraisals etc.
- Experience in working with Cloud-based technologies, multi-tiered and online services.
- Experience in managing and driving multiple teams do deliver a product across multiple releases.
- Familiarity with systems such as SQL, Linux, Web-services is a plus.
- Experience in the video game or trading card game industry a plus
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.
Internal Job Code: EN.SOMF.M3
Internal Job Profile: Software Development Mgmt (M2)