Senior Merchandise Development Associate (Apparel)
Summary of the Role
The Senior Merchandise Development Associate will build out apparel lines for Pokémon Center. They will drive product development and product calendars by working with cross functional teams, facilitating agreement, and staying on schedule. The ideal candidate will have a program management background and demonstrated experience leading many small to medium sized projects simultaneously. They will have a history of pitching lines and getting buy-in from other teams and system owners to identify new opportunities with a data-driven approach. This position will ensure apparel from Pokémon Center excites fans through brand understanding, quality product, and value for price. The candidate will be expected to fully immerse themself in the Pokémon brand; this ranges from playing the video and trading card games to watching the animated series.
What You Will Do
- Build out and maintain yearly product calendars for apparel
- Create product pitches and determine best mix based on marketing activities, partner’s capabilities, target market, and frequency of product refreshment
- Collect, organize, and distribute trend research for category and Pokémon fan
- Team with Project Managers to mitigate potential schedule risks and escalate to manager with recommended solutions
- Collaborate with internal teams to lead full category analysis presentations
- Guide internal and external stakeholders regarding how they can best represent the Pokémon brand through their products
- Communicate daily with internal and/or external partners via video calls, project management software, approvals software, and email
- Maintain an accurate record of the development of each item from concept to approval
- Assist in the development of process documents, tools, and training materials for internal and external stakeholders
- Organize and archive product samples
- Perform other administrative duties consistent with position as assigned by manager
What You Will Bring
- 2+ years of product development experience in consumer products with a strong emphasis on apparel
- Bachelor's degree
- Knowledge/understanding of custom and off-the-shelf apparel development including product timelines and print processes on various mediums
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, and Photoshop
- Project Management experience is a plus
- Graphic Design experience is a plus
- Ability to read, write, or speak a second is a plus
- Interest in animation, video games, and/or trading card games is a plus
How You Will Be Successful
- Communication: Impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Bias for Action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Great people skills: You know the “how” is as important as the “what” and you aim to build effective relationships across the organizations, as well as externally with 3rd You are mindful of diverse perspectives and engage clients in a professional manner.
- Passion and Pride in your work: You love what you do and how you can add value to your clients; You ensure consistency and quality of your work and demonstrate high attention to detail.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to various stakeholders. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
- Growth mindset: You thrive in a dynamic and fluid environment because you are a self-starter who is eager to learn, grow and build something great together.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives. Travel between office locations internationally may be required on occasion.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.