Point is the first mobile banking app to offer a debit card with relevant rewards and benefits like 5% back on subscriptions and purchase protection on all purchases.
Point is a better everyday spending alternative to a traditional, elite credit card like an Amex. We believe you shouldn’t have to go into debt to receive great rewards and benefits.
We're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help build a mobile banking app that you would actually use. Seriously, we're challenging the status quo and building a premium debit card to align incentives with our members.
- You'll have the opportunity to work alongside a lean and highly-talented team. One of our co-founders designed the interface of the first iPhone and we launched and scaled to millions of dollars in transactional volume with a team of 2.5 engineers — ask us about it.
- Our team is super collaborative and transparent. You have impact across the entire company from new product features, internal tools, or jamming on a marketing idea — no shortage of things to work on.
- We're well-funded and supported by top investors — we're backed by the same investors behind companies like Airbnb, Stripe, Notion, and many others.
About the Role:
The Senior Backend Engineer will be responsible for building the backend logic that powers new features. Potential examples: instant bank transfers, custom rewards — features that will enable Point to attract and retain more members.
How You'll Contribute:
- Work to ensure integrations with key vendors are stable and reliable — our card issuer, card printer, identity verification vendors, Plaid, etc.
- Build scalable infrastructure that can handle very large amounts of data with low latency.
- Support testing processes and troubleshooting issues.
What We're Looking For:
- 3+ years of experience as a Backend Engineer with at least 2 of them using Node.js, AWS, PostgresQL, and GraphQL.
- Previous understanding how to scale backend systems at a small start-up.
- A thoughtful approach to balancing moving quickly and cautiously by testing software before shipping — given the sensitive nature of our product we need to ensure Point is reliable and secure at all times.
- Spent time working in a senior engineer role but are still excited about being a core contributor to the codebase.
- Actually care about building a consumer product that has thoughtful and intuitive design across the stack — from mobile app UI to the database architecture.
We're built in:
- React Native
- Apollo Client (GraphQL)
- Jest testing framework
- Opportunity to be a part of a brand that is creating a new standard of financial services and entering at the ground floor of a fast growing, mission-driven company.
- Competitive salary, stock options, and 401K.
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision insurance).
- Unlimited vacation policy, paid company holidays, and WFH flexible. We shut down the office at the end of the year for a winter holiday.
- Free Point Card membership + 10,000 ($100) monthly points
- Monthly stipends for continuous learning, health & wellness, and commuting.