Episode is an interactive entertainment platform created by Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Tencent and Sequoia Capital. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 4 billion episodes across 73,000+ stories. Over 8 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, Clueless: School’s Out, Pretty Little Liars, and Pitch Perfect: In Deep Treble.
As a Sr. Software Engineer on the Episode team you’ll pioneer the next generation of our interactive authoring platform, enabling creators around the world to bring their stories to life. You’ll also develop innovative features to help our readers stay connected with creators and discover new great stories. We’re a very collaborative team, focused on deeply understanding our audience in order to consistently surprise and delight them.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop personalization and social features for the Episode reader and creator communities
- Build up a recommendations engine to help classify our library of more than 45,000+ stories
- Prototype our next generation visual engine for immersive storytelling
- Collaborate closely in small, nimble, cross-functional teams with product managers, artists and designers to define our next generation platform
- Design and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable cross-platform technologies for our iOS and Android gaming platforms
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
What You Bring to Episode:
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and object oriented programming
- Bonus points for experience with Objective-C, C++ or C
- Experience in Python, Google App Engine, AWS or related backend technologies are always a plus
- 4+ years work experience, including relevant experience shipping mobile applications on iOS and/or Android
- BA/BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Note: Prior game industry experience is NOT required