Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced attorney with a strong technology transactional background to join our legal team. As Senior Counsel, you will work closely with internal clients at every level of the company. The successful candidate will be a team player who is able to provide practical guidance while considering legal and business implications.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial, licensing, development, and advertising agreements, including agreements with TV / film studios
- Help advise the game teams in connection with game launches and user acquisition
- Develop, improve, and maintain contract templates, standard forms, corporate policies and processes, and training programs
- Build and manage processes and workflows that can scale to keep up with the company’s growth
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver, and strategic thinker
- Counsel internal clients on applicable laws and assist in the development of compliance policies, procedures, training, and risk mitigation strategies
- Advise on projects as needed, including general corporate, IP, litigation, and risk management issues
- JD with a combined 5+ years experience in technology transactions or commercial contracts / licensing at both a major law firm and as part of an in-house legal team at a technology company
- Top tier law degree with excellent credentials
- Experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating a wide variety of development, technology, licensing, publishing, marketing, and commercial agreements
- Experience in corporate law
- Excellent judgment balancing legal risks with business strategy while maintaining the highest levels of ethics and integrity
- Excellent technical drafting skills and deep understanding of intellectual property issues in the context of complex commercial, licensing, and technology transactions
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Superior interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills
- Keen attention to detail while being able to focus on the bigger picture and larger business strategy
- Interest in mobile gaming and/or entertainment
- Analytical aptitude and comfort with numbers
- Startup experience a plus
- Technical background a plus
- Admitted to California State Bar
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) match. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.