Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
We are looking for a Senior Concept Artist to join our War Dragons team. This is a hyper creative role for a concept artist with a diverse imagination to own and embrace the soul of this core game and help take it to the next level. You will be expected to take a seed of an idea and flesh out and expand all aspects of character and creature design. You can expect to create a range of assets from characters, creatures and even environments.. While working with our Game Designers, the game's Art Director, and other Concept Artists you will help devise the game's visual style and direction through concept.
Works with the Art Director, Character Lead to concept original concepts from early production to final render, while also expanding and influencing the the future direction of the core game vision.
- Minimum of 5+ years as a professional Concept Artist A BFA, MFA, art degree, or equivalent experience as a 3D Artist Experience providing great concepts with 1+ shipped title(s)
- Excellent understanding and portfolio of anatomy, creature and character design
- Excellent collaborative and teamwork skills
- Excellent illustration skills, deep understanding of composition, color theory, values, form, shape language, and silhouette.
- Ability to deliver consistent high quality work on an established schedule and timeline.
- Experience in creating original and unique ideas
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles as a Concept Artist
- passionate gamer across multiple game platforms
- 3D experience with Maya/Zbrush etc. a huge plus
- A portfolio containing a diverse range of conceptual work beyond characters: ie. characters, environments or graphic design
- Deep understanding of game development process
This is a full time role that would require you to be on site in our downtown San Francisco studio.
Benefits: Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.