Episode is a mobile storytelling network and platform created by Pocket Gems. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 3 billion episodes (equivalent of ~57,000 years) across 60,000+ stories. Over 6 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Pretty Little Liars.
On Episode you’ll pioneer the next generation of our interactive authoring platform, enabling creators around the world to bring their stories to life. You’ll also develop innovative features to help our readers stay connected with creators and discover new great stories. We’re a very collaborative team, focused on deeply understanding our audience in order to consistently surprise and delight them.
Pocket Gems is looking for the best developers in the world to join us in revolutionizing our mobile storytelling application.
What you’ll be working on:
- Developing personalization and social features for the Episode reader and creator communities
- Building up a recommendations engine to help classify our library of more than 45,000+ stories
- Prototyping our next generation visual engine for immersive storytelling
- Collaborating closely in small, nimble, cross-functional teams with product managers, artists and designers to define our next generation platform
- Designing and implementing scalable, reliable and maintainable cross-platform technologies for our iOS and Android gaming platforms
- Participating in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
What you bring to Episode:
- BA/BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and object oriented programming
- Deep experience with Objective-C, C++ or C
- Experience in Python, Google App Engine, AWS or related backend technologies a plus
- 5+ years work experience, including relevant experience shipping mobile applications on IOS and/or Android
- Note: Prior game industry experience is NOT required
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.