Episode is a mobile storytelling network and platform created by Pocket Gems. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 3 billion episodes (equivalent of ~57,000 years) across 60,000+ stories. Over 6 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Pretty Little Liars.
On Episode you’ll pioneer the next generation of our interactive authoring platform; helping creators around the world bring their stories to life. You’ll also build tools to enable our artists and writers to create the next generation of mobile-first story content. We’re a very collaborative team, focused on deeply understanding our audience in order to consistently surprise and delight them.
What you’ll be working on:
- Building a scalable authoring platform for creators to write, direct, and customize their stories for distribution to millions of readers
- Improving relevance for our recommendations, search, and trending algorithm systems
- Developing scalable and robust tools across our backend and frontend systems
- Prototyping new features and A/B testing them with actual customers
- Experimenting with new technologies that enable future innovation
- Participating in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
- Collaborating closely in cross-functional teams with product managers, QA, artists, designers, and writers
What you bring to Episode:
- BA/BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and object oriented programming
- Passion for web technologies and mobile entertainment
- 5+ years work experience, including relevant experience building complex web applications
- Experience mentoring junior engineers is a plus
- Note: Prior game industry experience is NOT required
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.