Senior 3D Rigging & Animation Artist
Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
We are looking for a Senior 3D Rigging and Animation Artist to join one of our new teams working on "core" games in the sci-fi or fantasy genres. We are looking for artists excited to bring AAA quality work and establish Pocket Gems as a leader in 3D art for mobile, creating games that appeal to a wide audience of players. We are excited to be shaping and defining games as we know it on mobile.
You will be working with engineers, artists, and designers to create awesome animations for one of our titles in development, and should have a strong working knowledge of how to rig and animate complex models, create cinematics and game trailers, and be sharp enough to figure out how to get them implemented into a new engine.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A BFA, MFA, art degree, or equivalent experience as a Technical Animator or 3D Rigger.
- Ability to develop blend-tree systems to implement animations in engine.
- At least 5+ years working in gaming with credit on at least one shipped title.
- Avid gamer with mobile experience.
- Work closely with engineers and designers to create high quality animations for characters, buildings, and environment assets.
- Experience of character creation from concept, to modeling and rigging and in game implementation, while maintaining visual style and adhering to game constraints.
- Thorough understanding of fundamental principles of animation for human and non human characters including posing, timing, anticipation, exaggeration, arcs, staging, etc.
- Able to construct complex and well organized rigs so that they may be used by other artists with a clear understanding.
- Solid working knowledge of Maya.
- Ability to provide prototype animations for early development.
- Understanding of FX (e.g., destructible objects, lighting systems, reflection, volumetric lights) and their contribution to animations.
- Demo reel demonstrating 3D animations and rigging.
- Able to troubleshoot and smartly correct other artists’ scene files.
- Strong organizational and file management skills.
- Working knowledge of Mel or Python.
- Previous experience with Unity’s Mecanim or similar.
Benefits: Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.