Senior Technical Artist
Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
We are looking for a Senior Technical Artist to join one of our new teams working on "core" games in the sci-fi or fantasy genres. We are looking for artists excited to bring AAA quality work and establish Pocket Gems as a leader in 3D art for mobile, creating games that appeal to a wide audience of players. We are excited to be shaping and defining games as we know it on mobile.
As a Senior Technical Artist you will serve as both an advocate for the Art department as well as the bridge between Art and Engineering. By collaborating with the Art Director and Engineering team, you will help enhance the visual quality of the game by creating art tools, advocating optimal art / engineering performance techniques and suggesting efficient and thoughtful pipeline processes.
You must know what a healthy art pipeline "looks like" and must help make sure that content creators have the tools & support necessary to do their jobs efficiently. You’ll be instrumental in developing the processes, tools, and pipeline from which innumerable games will spring forth.
- Work closely with art director / leads to drive and evangelize the artistic vision of the game.
- Collaborate with the engineers on the development of art pipelines including proprietary tools, software plug-ins, and in game technology.
- Assist in planning asset production in collaboration with the FX, concept, character, and other disciplines.
- Level up your team’s skills through mentorship of skills, process, and technical / artistic techniques.
- Create and help prototyping ideas, technologies and concepts with other team members.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in game development serving in a technical art role.
- Experienced with creating assets within art pipelines including; rigging, scripting, shader development, lighting, and visual effects.
- Familiar with at least one development language such as mel, python, c#, or c++.
- Effectively collaborate with game designers, artists, and engineers to ensure that technical art vision is serving project needs.
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude.
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability.
- Able to collaborate with multiple teams effectively.
- A passion for video games.
- Mastery in one or more technical skills including; VFX, animation, character rigging, tools scripting, or shader development.
- Skill in one or more related disciplines – illustration, animation, visual effects, or modeling.
- Have shipped AAA PC or console titles.
- Have shipped mobile titles.
Benefits: Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.