Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
We are looking for a Lead Artist to join one of our new teams working on "core" games in the sci-fi or fantasy genres. We are looking for artists excited to bring AAA quality work and establish Pocket Gems as a leader in 3D art for mobile, creating games that appeal to a wide audience of players. We are excited to be shaping and defining games as we know it on mobile.
As a Lead Artist, you will inspire others both as a leader and as an artist. As a leader, you will be a motivational catalyst for the art team. As an artist, you will help refine the look of new characters, environments and architecture. In addition to improving the visuals of the product, you will also be a partner to production and design leads, while managing and leading the artists.
- Partner with the 3D Studio Art Director to define and own project needs.
- Provide creative ideas to refine existing products and push the product to the next level.
- Direct and create images, models, textures, and other benchmark assets that inspire the team and demonstrate a predetermined style.
- Lead/mentor and manage artists’ quality expectations and their career paths.
- Execute and carry out direction by leading multiple disciplines including UI, marketing creative, environments, characters, animation, and VFX.
- Partner with production and Product Managers to ensure schedules and plans meet business and project needs.
- Partner with Art management to ensure the Art team is healthy and strong.
- Good taste and an eye for quality.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in gaming.
- Minimum 1 shipped title as an Art Lead from beginning to end.
- An art degree, or equivalent experience as a 3D Artist.
- A proven ability to solve problems in collaboration with the broader game team including other artists, art leads, and game design, with excellent follow through.
- Experience working with an Art Director to develop a unique and cohesive visual style.
- Strong communicator and exceptional ability to give positive and constructive feedback.
- Avid gamer across multiple platforms.
Benefits: Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.