Episode is a mobile storytelling network and platform created by Pocket Gems. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 2.5 billion episodes (equivalent of ~47,000 years) across 45,000+ stories. Over 5.5 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Pretty Little Liars.
Episode is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Narrative Designer. In this role, you will become a key member of the Episode Originals team, helping develop narrative choices across key stories, including current and upcoming licensed stories, that can be examples of best-in-class narrative design. You will also help us hone our narrative design process across our Episode Originals, and then be part of communicating these principles of great narrative design to our community of over 5.5 million creators, the largest community of interactive storytellers on mobile.
You have a strong desire to create compelling choices with narrative branching. You care about using your skills to champion the storytelling elements of Episode like pacing, beats, mood, risk / reward, etc. You’ll work closely with other storytellers and our Art team to craft exciting interactive narratives that appeal to our Episode demographic.
- Help design and maintain the vision for our Episode live story studio, putting us on the path to create hits for our current audience, while also thinking about how to expand it over time
- Create branches and choices that enhance the narrative of Episode’s stories, creating agency for viewers
- Partner with writers and our Episode Originals team to create interactive entertainment that is emotionally engaging
- Collaborate with the art team to design new and better elements that will yield engaging sequences
- 5+ years narrative design experience
- Passion for Episode’s vision and current audience
- Ability to adapt to a fast growing environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.