Episode is a mobile animated interactive storytelling network and marketplace created by Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment and games company. Episode empowers storytellers to create mobile-first stories, aiming to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, readers have read over 2 billion episodes and over 4 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year and Demi Lovato: Path to Fame.
Episode is hiring a Director on Episode Originals to help develop and maintain the vision for our Episode live story studio. You must be passionate about creating engaging stories and worlds, discovering new talent, brainstorming content strategy, mentoring and empowering creators, and iterating based on product performance and user data.
You have strong insights around story and hold writers to a high bar. You inspire creative new talent to create amazing stories for women in their teens and twenties, while thinking critically about product metrics and performance. You follow genre development and media trends, and think critically about how to find the next hit. You are eager to learn about your product and audience. Your decisions are driven by creative intuition, knowledge of your team’s ability, user research, business goals, and market strategy. Above all, you’re passionate about storytelling in a new digital age and leading the creative process.
- Help design and maintain the vision for our Episode live story studio, putting us on the path to create hits for our current audience, while also thinking about how to expand it over time.
- Provide critical and creative feedback on the stories being produced, to ensure they meet the Episode quality bar and incorporate product learnings and best practices.
- Drive scaling and hiring for our team of story leads to achieve product and team goals.
- Manage and mentor team members on story development, strategy, and process.
- Organize and track the projects for the team of full-time story leads:
- Plan milestones and deadlines with the team.
- Set programming goals for the product, adjusting based on performance data and market response.
- Be a thought partner for content innovation; ensure we’re testing new formats, genres, and ideas in a structured and data-driven way.
- Manage and maintain the budget across the slate of productions.
- 5+ Years working in literary publishing or tv network programming
- 5+ years managing creative writers and storytellers
- Experience scaling and growing creative teams
- Experience motivating and driving a team toward a shared creative vision
- Passion for Episode’s vision and current audience
- Bachelor’s Degree
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including a Premiere PPO health plan. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.