Episode is a mobile animated interactive storytelling network and marketplace created by Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment and games company. Episode empowers storytellers to create mobile-first stories, aiming to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, readers have read over 2 billion episodes and over 4 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year and Demi Lovato: Path to Fame.
Episode Interactive is hiring a Senior Managing Editor who is passionate about discovering new talent, brainstorming content strategy, mentoring and empowering creatives, and doing all of it with an astute eye for and love of data.
You must have strong insights around story, able to spot a diamond in the rough and hold writers to a high bar. You’re able to inspire creative new talent in young adult fiction, while thinking critically about product metrics and performance. You bring order to chaos: planning and managing the schedule of multiple creative projects with dependencies from individuals on various teams. You are a data driven strategist and analytical thinker that sees in every surprise as a new thing to learn about your product and audience. When faced with a problem, you’re able to adapt and come up with practical solutions based on user value, business importance, and marketing strategy. Above all, you’re passionate about empowering storytellers in a new digital age and managing the creative strategic process.
- Provide critical and creative feedback on the stories being produced, to ensure they meet the Episode quality bar and incorporate product learnings and best practices.
- Manage and mentor team members on story development, strategy, and process.
- Drive scaling and hiring for our team of story leads to achieve product and team goals.
- Organize and track the projects for the team of full-time story leads:
- Set milestones and deadlines with the team.
- Plan programming goals for the product, taking into consideration when to take risks on new work or genres, when to rely on known winners, where to source new work, and how to improve story processes.
- Analyze performance and product metrics to adjust the programming pipeline accordingly.
- Facilitate clear communication between functions.
- Be a thought partner for content innovation; ensure we’re testing new formats, genres, and ideas but in a structured and data-driven way.
- Manage and maintain the budget across the slate of productions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, English, Journalism, or Marketing
- 5+ Years working in literary publishing or tv network programming
- 2+ years managing creative writers and storytellers
- Experience scaling and growing creative teams
- Passion for young adult content or interactive storytelling
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including a Premiere PPO health plan. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.