Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people headquartered in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have grossed over $1 billion in revenue. We continue to release brand new content for Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Technical Artist on the Storytelling Track, you will collaborate with artists, engineers and game designers to bring impactful prototypes and brand new story-focused games to life.
Equipped with experience working in a game engine (preferably Unity), familiarity with scripting, a drive to build optimized, performant products, a solid grasp of art fundamentals and a love for problem solving, you provide tools, solve complex issues, help develop streamlined processes, and collaborate in the development of dynamic and static game visuals.
Storytelling: This role is a part of our Storytelling Track, which develops games and projects focused on narrative storytelling and character building. The technical artist collaborates with engineers, game designers and artists in creating the next generation of best-in-class mobile interactive storytelling games.
What We’ve Accomplished:
- In Pocket Gem’s Core studio, War Dragons has been delighting our loyal fan base for over 7 years with innovative designs and a vibrant community of players.
- In our Storytelling studio, Episode has been delighting our readers and homegrown writers with new stories and features for over 7 years with a readership of over 1.5 million Daily Active Readers to this day.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and implement performant VFX and dynamic visual elements
- Collaborate with artists and engineers on building performant lighting pipelines and camera systems
- Help integrate dynamic UI elements into the game
- Build and enhance mobile-friendly shaders
- Help the team identify and use best-in-class optimization and art analysis tools and methods
- Be a key thought partner and problem solver on new and live games.
What You Bring to the team:
- Working knowledge of Unity’s animation, camera and shader creation workflows
- Excellent scripting skills
- Ability to implement dynamic UI elements
- Ability to create, enhance and implement performant VFX
- Ability to build artist-friendly art tools in Unity
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to help others
- Strong artistic eye
- 2+ years of experience and work on at least 1 published game
Extra Gems For:
- Ability to create and modify character and object rigs
- Ability to enhance environment art and levels with dynamic elements
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability -- and we hope to engage with talent based on these and other core values. We also offer competitive perks, such as flexible vacation, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package,