Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people headquartered in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have grossed over $1 billion in revenue. We continue to release brand new content for Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Data Scientist, you’ll work with product managers to set the analytics and data science agenda for one of our game studios. You’ll carry out research and development projects aimed at optimizing player retention, you’ll deploy machine learning models, and you’ll perform deep-dive analyses to understand changes in key metrics. Along the way, you'll develop a deep understanding of mobile gaming and will work with our high-producing and fast-paced team. Your work will have a significant, lasting impact on the health of our games. You'll have a great deal of independence ‒ we'll expect you to use it wisely.
What We’ve Accomplished:
- Built models to estimate the lifetime value of every player in our games
- Deployed systems to monitor player satisfaction with our games
- Developed models that recommend more relevant content to players
What You’ll Do:
- Drive analytics and data science initiatives for one of our game studios
- Design and deploy live machine learning models to optimize player experience
- Perform deep-dive analyses and research projects to understand changes in key metrics
- Deliver results and recommendations to key stakeholders on a regular basis
- Collaborate with other data analysts and data scientists on the analytics team
- Collaborate with cross functional partners on other teams
What You’ll Bring to the Analytics Team:
- Bachelor’s degree — AND —
- 4 years of professional experience in a similar/related role — OR —
- 2 years of professional experience in a similar/related role AND Master’s/PhD in a similar/related field such as data science or analytics
- Expert command of SQL — you’ll be using it daily
- Firm grasp of Python, including Pandas, Scikit-learn, and Jupyter notebooks
- Excellent knowledge of common machine learning models — both supervised and unsupervised (e.g., linear/logistic regression, tree-based models, gradient boosting, neural networks, clustering methods, etc.) — and when to use them
- Solid understanding of statistics
- Strong understanding of A/B testing (design and analysis)
- Knack for data visualization and ability to present data in a clear, concise manner
- Ability and desire to present complex results to non-technical audiences
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with other roles
- Ambition to own the analytics and data science function for a large game studio
Extra Gems for:
- Experience working in the gaming industry
- Experience developing and deploying production code
- Leadership and/or consulting experience
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability -- and we hope to engage with talent based on these and other core values. We also offer competitive perks, such as flexible vacation, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package,