Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people headquartered in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have grossed over $1 billion in revenue. We continue to release brand new content for Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Senior Environment Artist on the Track 3 Team you will create unique delightful performant environments for a new high-quality casual title. You will work with Art Directors and Concept Artists to help define the game’s visual style and direction after concept. You will be a pillar of the team and contribute significantly to the art team. We want to go to the next level in mobile games!
What We’ve Accomplished:
- Assembled an incredibly talented art team, with industry veterans and talent that work extremely well together
- Shipped a very ambitious game, with huge scope, “next gen” graphics on new tech, called Wild Beyond
What You’ll Do:
- Support the Art Director and work with the Lead Environment Artist to shape the overall vision for the game while taking ownership on the environment assets assigned.
- Synthesize concept art and block out models into final game environments.
- Create environment textures from props to tiling terrain materials
- Work collaboratively with the game designers and technical artists to understand and interpret design requirements with the engine’s technical limitations.
- Work with technical artists and engineers to establish new tools and features to increase the fidelity of our environments.
- Collaborate with design, animation, and visual effects departments to the meet the highest visual quality and gameplay standards
- Communicate effectively with production, art management, and other departments
What You Bring to the Team:
- Proven experience: at least 5+ years experience working in gaming as Environment Artist, having shipped several games working from beginning to end of production.
- Positive work ethic, self-motivation, and eager for constructive feedback.
- Expert level knowledge of Maya and Photoshop (or equivalents)
- Able to follow and adapt to stylistic guidelines set by the Lead/Art Director
- Experience with a lighting model and understands the principles of basic lighting
- Passion for craft: solid understanding of technical limitations of game engines and can execute high-quality art within those limitations.
- Strong organizational and file management skills
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
Extra Gems For:
- Having shipped AAA PC or Console titles as an Environment Artist
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools, experience with Substance Painter and Zbrush
- Has lit environments and worked with newer lighting models like Enlighten.
- Has animated environment assets
- Experience designing assets for modular systems
- Strong foundation in the traditional arts: able to concept ideas before creation process
- An avid and passionate gamer across multiple platforms
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability -- and we hope to engage with talent based on these and other core values. We also offer competitive perks, such as flexible vacation, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package,