Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As an Art Outsourcing Manager for War Dragons you will ensure art assets from external vendors consistently meet War Dragon’s visual quality, style, technical specifications and deadlines. With your excellent communication skills, you will have the ability to maintain partnerships with external vendors, and work as a professional 2D production artist. You will collaborate with interdisciplinary internal teams and external vendors to manage priorities, maintain pace and quality and bring clarity to the production process. You will be the primary point of contact with your outsourcing houses and should be able to schedule assets to hit the major team deadlines.
What We’ve Accomplished:
- The Dragons Art Team recently shipped the Eclipse Winter Season which featured 6 dragons, 8 dragon riders and the brand new Cosmic Orrey turret!
- Over the past 2 years the War Dragons art team has been actively working towards making a diverse, inclusive cast of Dragon Riders to pair with our great dragon designs.
- War Dragons has been delighting our loyal fan base for over 7 years with innovative designs and a vibrant community of players.
What You’ll Do:
- Be the primary point of contact, communicating the Director's vision to external studios to help them create art of the highest quality.
- Own art asset review process with off-site vendors, giving clear daily feedback on art assets they are responsible for.
- Use Photoshop, Z-Brush and Maya to correct graphic and animation errors.
- Collaborate with the internal art team to communicate the aesthetic style, art creation best practices and processes to external vendors.
- Monitor quality and technical standards for external studios and individual artists.
- Responsible for improving the art production pipeline between internal and external productions.
- Oversee art outsourcing according to project specifications, balancing deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements.
- Identify potential problems in the art pipeline and work with the War Dragons leads to prevent them.
What You Bring to the team:
- At least 3 years of game development experience as a 3D artist
- Outsourcing reviewing and communication experience
- Asset management experience required
- Good grasp of art fundamentals: anatomy, color, lighting, perspective, environments.
- Proven technical character pipeline knowledge, from modeling, rigging and animation.
- Shipped a minimum of 2 exceptional games or interactive media titles
- Previous experience managing external vendors
- Please have a portfolio of Art Feedback available for review
Extra Gems For:
- Maya and Zbrush expertise
- Familiarity with Basecamp, and Jira project management software.
- Project Management Experience
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with talent based on our core values.