Episode is a mobile storytelling network and platform created by Pocket Gems. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 2.5 billion episodes (equivalent of ~47,000 years) across 45,000+ stories. Over 5.5 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Pretty Little Liars.
The Lead Artist helps drive the vision of Episode’s art style, art pipeline, and cinematics. They work with both the internal and external development teams to create a unified vision and process. The lead will have demonstrable skills that show their commitment to telling stories through the craft of both 2d and 3d art. They will also be a motivational team mentor and leader.
What you will be doing:
- Work with team leads to guide internal and external art teams on style and visual direction
- Help develop art pipelines for a storytelling platform
- Work with the internal art team, internal story team and external vendors
- Track and provide clear, visual feedback on assets from initial planning stages to final assets
- Schedule and prioritize cross-project art dependencies
- Balance deadlines and resources with style and quality requirements
- Identify potential problems in the art pipeline and work with team leads to solve them
- Create clear documentation, guides and templates
- Work with the TD and engineers to create assets and pipelines that support a mobile platform
- Help Identify team staffing needs
- Mentor artists
Required Skills & Knowledge:
- 3D Art Skills
- Expert character and object modeling
- Hair, cloth folds
- 2D Art & Cinematography Skills
- Solid fundamentals: Composition, Light and Color, Anatomy and Perspective
- Excellent sense of visual storytelling: cinematic art, emotion and drama
- Storyboarding skills a plus!
- Shotgun is a big plus!
- Team Leadership
- Be a team motivator and problem solver
- Ability to deliver clear visual review feedback
- Clear communication with multidisciplinary Episode teams
- Must have a minimum 7 years of experience as an artist
- 5 years as an art lead
- Must have experience working on a professional project with strong narrative elements
- Console or PC game development is a must
- TV or film production work is a plus
- Experience working with modular 3D assets is a big plus!
- Must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in art, film, game design or a closely related field
Nice to Have:
- Interest in romance and drama genres
- Interest in architecture, interior design and fashion design
- Interest in unique, personality-driven characters and environments
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.