Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As an Engineering Manager on the Infrastructure team, you will lead, manage, and design the next generation infrastructure, data pipelines, and tools to support our developers. You will identify system bottlenecks, grow and build out your team, and help drive technical initiatives by coordinating with stakeholders.
What We’ve Accomplished:
- We released the 3rd generation data pipeline for the company, which successfully reduced the latency from 24hrs to < 5m
- We migrated all our infrastructure configurations to the IAC system using tools like Ansible, Terraform, Alembic, Vagrant, and Docker
- We released a new unified logging system for our R&D teams to start logging within minutes using any client library of their choice
- We improved our A/B testing analysis to better support data-driven decision making for Pocket Gems, which comes with enhanced analytical capability
- After extensive benchmarking on several data warehousing solutions, we redid all our pipelines and migrated petabytes of data from Amazon Redshift to Google BigQuery
What You’ll Help Us to Accomplish:
- Help build out:
- A scalable infrastructure and web tools to support data analysis and visualization for the company and influence what we build for our games’ players (including BI Tools, A/B Testing Tools, Crash Reporting Systems)
- The next generation of microservices for Pocket Gems game infrastructure needs
- Assist in improving:
- Our data pipeline by implementing flexible, reusable, and scalable solutions
- Our unified logging system for R&D teams to support unstructured data and BI insights
- Our data warehouse performance
- Be responsible for
- The roadmap of the team and help identify the requirements and performance bottlenecks for stakeholders
- Team performance, OKR metrics, and staffing
- Manage and continue nurturing the amazing engineering talents on the team
What You Bring to [the team]:
- Minimum of 8+ years of software engineering experience (including 3+ years backend experience)
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience directly managing engineering teams
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant field
- Experience leading complex projects involving distributed systems
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Extra Gems For:
- Working in a central team environment
- Experience working in a data platform team
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with talent based on our core values.