Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
The Pocket Gems People Operations team focuses on creating an inspiring place to work while maintaining an atmosphere of creativity, fun and productivity. As the People Ops Manager you will be hands-on, and able to flex from strategic to tactical work while being a thoughtful leader. With your depth of HR expertise, you’ll provide coaching, support, and development within the People Ops Team, and with key stakeholders throughout the organization. Areas of focus will include performance management and employee relations, and change management.
What We’ve Recently Accomplished:
- We provided key guidance as PG adjusted from an office-based to remote work environment during shelter in place, to ensure employees as seamless a transition as possible. A recent engagement survey showed Gemmers were extremely positive on PGs response to the pandemic.
- We rolled out a continuous feedback process via Lattice to further enable developing a strong culture of feedback.
- We partnered on meaningful reactions to the recent incidents of, and protests around, racial injustice in the U.S. - including a company-wide meeting to share personal reactions and declare company actions (such as highlighting Black creators voices), and setting up and running the first charitable match in PG history.
What You’ll Help Us to Accomplish:
- Become a strong business partner to leadership throughout the organization - from coaching, to working on performance issues and finding ways to increase managerial impact, you will be a key resource to managers and employees.
- Some project opportunities include: Working towards a true continuous feedback cycle (goodbye to annual reviews!); Helping create policies and processes to support engaging remotely in the short and long-term; and supporting the increased diversity and inclusion efforts we’re tackling company-wide.
What You’ll Do:
- Working closely with our People Ops Generalists, you’ll own the delivery and effectiveness of several core HR processes and responsibilities across employee life-cycle activities such as benefits, compliance / policy management, and immigration
- Act as a hands-on generalist for the company for all things people-related
- Become a strategic business partner to game teams and functional leadership
- Proactively and thoughtfully address workplace and employee relations issues on an individual and systematic basis (under performance, coaching managers through PIPs, creating tools and processes to actively manage performance)
- Develop and maintain scalable programs, such as performance management/continuous feedback, employee engagement, and professional development
- Ensure ongoing compliance with relevant regulations and requirements pertaining to minimize risk and exposure to the company; oversee compliance calendar and ensure all individual filings (e.g., EEO-1) are completed
What You Bring To The Team:
- BA/BS degree is required
- 7+ years of hands on HR experience in tech or similar industry including 2+ years of management experience.
- Strong HR functional expertise in core areas - Benefits, total rewards, compliance, policy creation & management, performance management, learning & development, and systems management
- Deep analytical expertise and the ability to use data to drive HR decisions
- Knowledgeable on employment law matters, and familiarity with immigration (visa & Green Card processes)
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal
- The ability to work effectively with all stakeholders and to build relationships at all levels of the organization
- Comfortable as a “hands-on” leader and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills while exercising sound judgment
- Proven experience handling confidential and sensitive information with the ability to exercise discretion and show good judgment; honesty, integrity, and trust building behaviors in all dealings is essential and required.
- Effective time management and organization skills
Extra gems for:
- Project management experience
- Experience leading remote teams
- Background in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with talent based on our core values.