Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 450 million times by players around the world. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game. As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a summer Data Science Intern, you’ll build a machine learning model that’s designed to maximize the lifetime value of our players. We haven’t selected a project yet but there are several good candidates to choose from. Your project might involve building a reinforcement learning system to manage promotions for War Dragons. Or it might involve building an LSTM model to predict the performance of new stories for Episode. Whatever we decide to do, you’re guaranteed to learn a lot.
During our 10-week program our interns are meaningful contributors to our live products, leaving the summer having made a tangible impact on their team while gaining technical and professional skills to set them up for future success!
What You’ll Do:
- Build a machine learning model for one of our games
- Put your model into production
- Collaborate with other members of the Data Science team
- Present results to key stakeholders
- Work with innovative, great, fun people!
What You’ll Bring to the Analytics Team:
- Working toward a Bachelors or Masters degree in a quantitative field such as Math, Physics, or Economics
- Proficiency in either R or Python
- Experience with SQL
- Passion and excitement about using data science to make an impact on our games
Extra Gems for:
- Working knowledge of NLP and/or reinforcement learning
- Experience working at a fast-paced tech company
Other Internship Perks:
- A full calendar of events to get to know San Francisco, learn from your fellow interns, and have a great summer
- Weekly training sessions to expand your learnings from fellow Gemmers and industry veterans
- Free lunch, a well-stocked kitchen, and cold brew and kombucha on tap!
- We are looking for students going to U.S. universities, graduating in Winter 2020 or Spring 2021
- Our 10 week internship is from June 15 - August 21
- Prior mobile/gaming experience is NOT required
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.