Pocket Gems seeks to build the greatest mobile games and most compelling interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with, in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to inspire us today. Since then, we’ve grown to over 200 people in San Francisco, and with $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground in mobile entertainment.
Our products have been downloaded over 500 million times by players around the world and have generated over $1 billion in bookings. In recent years, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our community of players continues to grow, we’re committed to building diverse and inclusive environments across our teams, and in our games.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll pioneer the next generation of mobile storytelling, tools, and features, with rapid release cycles that will make an immediate impact. We’re a very collaborative team, focused on deeply understanding our millions of users in order to consistently surprise and delight them. This role is a part of our Storytelling Track, which develops games and projects focused on narrative storytelling and character building.
Note: This role is open to remote employment for those who reside in California or Washington State.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and code innovative, scalable, and robust features
- Balance the technical and product roadmaps within the team
- Collaborate closely in a small, nimble, cross-functional team with creatives in an iterative agile environment, providing (and receiving) regular feedback to/from product managers, artists, writers, engineers, and designers
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
What You Bring to Engineering Team:
- 5+ years of engineering experience,
- Strong team building and empowering skills; you love building and mentoring scalable and high-performing teams of engineers at all levels
- Fluent in Objective C or C++
- Knowledge of Python or other scripting languages and familiarity with cloud platforms (GAE, AWS)
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP
- A love for gaming development and/or storytelling
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Extra Gems For:
- Prior entertainment or gaming industry experience
- React or AngularJS experience
- Extra interest in building and playing narrative games or interactive stories
Read more about what we’ve been up to!
At Pocket Gems, we're building teams that value originality, inclusivity, and accountability. While we believe we offer competitive perks, such as annual bonuses, unlimited PTO, 401k matching, and a generous benefits package, we hope to engage with talent based on our core values.