Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As the Head of Growth Marketing, you will be responsible for overseeing the marketing function at Pocket Gems. Working closely with the marketing team, game teams, and senior leadership of the company, you will lead our efforts to commercialize and market our products, building one of the most passionate player communities in the world. You will improve our performance marketing processes and systems internally and continue to cultivate our deep relationships with mobile ad networks. Representing the voice of our millions of players, you will oversee the delivery of all of our marketing, branding, and PR efforts. You will be responsible for working with our teams to build a financial plan and for delivering results. You will engage with and develop marketers across the company, and guide their efforts as they undertake a wide variety of challenges.
What You’ll Do:
Lead marketing strategy for the company
- Develop and execute marketing strategy based on the needs of our company, our products, and our players
- Improve our performance marketing processes and systems
- Deepen relationships across major mobile ad networks
- Partner with game teams and creative leads to bring our products to market throughout the development and commercialization process
- Lay the groundwork for building iconic brands around our most successful franchises
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner to senior leadership team
Establish financial targets and deliver results
- Partner with finance team and company leadership to build financial plan
- Track operational KPIs and oversee marketing operations to deliver ROI-positive marketing results
- Evaluate performance of initiatives based on metrics and real-time dashboards
- Use analytical and modeling skills to understand unit economics and optimize marketing activities
Represent our products to players around the world
- Oversee the delivery of all of our marketing, branding, and PR efforts
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to testing to worldwide launch and ongoing live operations
- Partner with creative teams to develop a creative vision that appeals to our target players and keep that vision fresh for years
Build and lead the marketing function for the company
- Engage and develop our team of marketers in their skills and careers across several disciplines of marketing including performance, product, and creative
- Provide functional guidance and coaching to the team in marketing best practices
- Understand state of the art marketing and execute plan for closing gaps and for ongoing innovation
- Work with the recruiting team and team leads to identify talent needs and hire excellent team members
What You Bring to the Marketing team:
- BA/BS from top tier school, ideally in quantitative discipline (CS, Engineering, Math, Econ, etc.)
- 10+ years leading marketing teams of growing scope including functional expertise in marketing leadership for a 250-500 person organization
- Track record of building teams, developing and managing marketing professionals, and performance management
- Strong communications skills, with experience managing external partner relationships
- Proficiency in SQL, MS Excel, and deep analytical ability
- Background making decisions based on data in a mobile performance or direct marketing business
- Leadership experience in launching both successful and unsuccessful products
- Strength as a world class individual contributor in performance marketing or product marketing
- Familiarity working with creative professionals and technical team a must
- Passion for mobile products a must
Extra Gems for:
- MBA from top tier school
- Experience in venture-backed startups and/or games
- Familiarity with and history in playing games
- Overseas experience and/or Mandarin speaking ability
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.