Episode is an interactive entertainment platform created by Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Tencent and Sequoia Capital. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 4 billion episodes across 73,000+ stories. Over 8 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, Clueless: School’s Out, Pitch Perfect In Deep Treble, and Pretty Little Liars. We are looking for an expert in character layout & animation cinematic to bring our scripts to life on mobile devices worldwide. Work with the team behind the recent hits Mean Girls: Senior Year and Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, to develop new stories for the Episode platform.
WHAT IS EPISODE?
- Episode Interactive is an app that empowers people to create and animate their own stories for mobile devices—pioneering a new medium for storytelling.
- Episode was a top downloaded and grossing app in both iOS and Android during the 2015 holiday season, and continues to top the charts.
- A simple proprietary coding language allows people to layout and animate characters, move the camera in 2D space, select backgrounds, and direct scenes.
- We’ve been featured in Entertainment Weekly (http://bit.ly/1OvbJTe), and Wired (http://wrd.cm/1uGhzCS), just to name a few.
WHO ARE YOU?
- Passionate about visual storytelling, especially with new technology and mediums.
- Have a deep understanding of narrative structure and how it can be communicated visually.
- Someone with experience doing character layout work in 2D or 3D animated movies, TV, or other storytelling mediums.
- Have a keen eye for visual composition and perspective, an understanding of film editing shots and techniques, and knowledge of cinematography.
- A collaborator; each story has a team of 2-6 people, who work together in service of the story. You must be a team player and put the story before your own work or ego.
- A perfectionist; when you work on and review a shot, you’re determined to get it right. You review your work carefully, ensuring quality is high before delivery.
- Quick to learn and adapt to internal proprietary tools.
- PREFERRED: Formal education in media production, film production, graphic design, photography, cinematography, storyboarding, layout art, or previz art (not required if you have an otherwise strong portfolio).
WHAT ARE YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES?
- You’ll be paired with a team on a new originally-developed story to work with the writer and story lead to direct the scenes using our library of art, animation, and set-ups.
- From a completed script, you’ll use proprietary tools to execute a well-paced dynamic scene: laying out characters, controlling the camera, adding transitions, etc.
- You’ll be given a library of characters, costumes, backgrounds, and animations to help create compelling interactive scenes.
- You’ll work with the story lead and writer to iterate on each draft of the episode.
- This is a project-based contract position.
- To apply, please submit your resume and a portfolio of your work (e.g. links to clips of films or games you’ve worked on, stills of shots you’ve laid out, etc.) to EMAIL HERE? LINK?
- ***Please note, we will not review your application without a portfolio