Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Wild Beyond, a fast-paced and strategic 3D combat game, Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
The Episode team is looking for a Lead UX Designer who will lead our UX efforts and partner with our UI Artist to ensure a fantastic player experience on Episode! Our ideal candidate enjoys a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication. This individual is someone who can deeply understand our players, build prototypes of player flows for new and existing features, test those flows qualitatively and quantitatively to make sure they are resonating with our audience, and partner with Product and Engineering to get those features built.
To date, there have been over 7 billion episodes viewed on Episode, which is over 97,000 years of combined viewing time. We’ve also opened up our storytelling platform to create the world’s largest community of interactive stories and storytellers, with over 12 million registered creators including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Most recently, Episode has made the list of Apple’s Top Free Games of 2018 and was recognized as the Best Community Building Game at the 2018 Google Play Awards. We’ve also partnered with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Pitch Perfect In Deep Treble, Pretty Little Liars, Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Clueless: School’s Out.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with our UI Artist, Product Managers, and Engineers from concept to execution on high-scope feature sets and design challenges
- Deliver excellent solutions that fit business and product goals while providing customer value and inspiring the team as a whole
- Thoughtfully break down and communicate recognized best practice user experiences to help the team succeed
- Work with other disciplines on establishing user centered design solutions, standards, and patterns for the team and studio
- Help initiate and facilitate moderated and unmoderated user testing and report back findings to the team
What You Bring to Design Team:
- 5+ years of production experience as a UX Designer, Interaction Designer, Product Designer or similar
- A track record of training and mentoring other designers as they strive to achieve excellence
- An appreciation for the iterative nature of the design process
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research methodologies
- Ability to autonomously drive the design and implementation of large features
- A strong sense of ownership and excellent communication skills, with a passion for great execution
- Expert-level experience using various prototyping and design software
- Up-to-date knowledge on the latest industry mobile design trends and patterns
- The ability to understand a gamer’s mind and a passion for story based media
- A great portfolio of work showing:
- evidence of advanced skills in user centred design thinking and problem solving (strategy and definition documents, user flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes, personas, usability evaluation, user research etc
- examples of games, mobile applications, software applications, and/or interactive spaces
Extra Gems For:
- Shipped at least 1 mobile game as a key contributor in UX
- Experience with front-end development
- BA/BS in interactive design, graphic arts, human factors, computer science or a related field with equivalent experience
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.