Episode is a mobile storytelling network and platform created by Pocket Gems. Episode aims to define storytelling for the 2+ billion people on mobile with animated, interactive stories that are part TV, novel, movie, and mobile game. Since launching in 2014, users have viewed over 2.5 billion episodes (equivalent of ~47,000 years) across 45,000+ stories. Over 5.5 million storytellers have signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode also partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, and Pretty Little Liars.
You’ll dive into the interactive story creation process, lead and solve challenging problems related to architecture, performance, automated testing, and complex client / server interactions for our online authoring system.
You’ll lead and solve challenging problems with a team of rockstars. Examples of projects include story ranking algorithm optimization, reader recommendations, efficient content delivery, automated testing, and complex client / server interactions. You’ll define our backend system roadmap and work collaboratively with mobile client engineers, PMs, and others to build the future of storytelling on mobile!
- Designing innovative features that support our authoring ecosystem and make it easy to store and publish hundreds of thousands of interactive stories
- Identifying new technologies that will improve our platform architecture and performance
- Stress testing your features in our test environments to make sure they scale appropriately
- Owning all aspects of the project lifecycle for your work, from ideation to release
- Working with cross-discipline teams to create an innovative interactive story experience and release it to customers
- 5+ years work experience, including relevant experience building complex server applications
- Deep experience with Python, Google App Engine, AWS, or related backend technologies
- Strong competencies in software design and implementation
- Passionate about core backend web technologies
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Front end experience with AngularJS or related technologies a plus
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) plan. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.