Pocket Gems, a leading mobile entertainment company backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent, is breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine. Profitable since launch in 2009, the company has grown to over 200 employees. Pocket Gems’ games have been downloaded over 250 million times by players around the world. Our ideal candidates enjoy a work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
This person will join one of our new teams working on "core" games. We are looking for artists excited to bring AAA quality work and establish Pocket Gems as a leader in 3D art for mobile, creating games that appeal to a wide audience of players. We are excited to be shaping and defining games as we know it on mobile.
Pocket Gems is looking for a proven Art Director to be the creative visionary for a new project bringing new genres of mobile games to a mainstream audience. In this role, you will be able to draw from a background of diverse styles to create a vision that breaks new ground in mobile gaming. You’ll collaborate with senior product leaders while guiding a team of artists to transform your artistic vision from concept to a 3D mobile game that will be played by millions!
- Work with team leads to establish a clear artistic vision for the game
- Create an innovative and differentiated art style for the game
- Execute and carry out direction by leading multiple disciplines including UI, marketing creative, environments, characters, animation, and VFX
- Oversee hiring, training, and development of the art team
- Good taste and an eye for quality and high level of polish and execution
- At least 5+ years working in gaming
- At least one shipped 3D title as Art Director
- Familiarity with game development tools
- Strong understanding of game development pipeline
- Be up to date, and familiar with gaming trends and styles
- Must have completed one full production cycle on a game from beginning to end
- Ability to lead multiple art disciplines
- A proven ability to solve problems in collaboration with the broader game team including other Artists, Art Leads and Game Design
- Ability to take initiative to solve problems with excellent follow through
- Avid gamer across multiple platforms
- Strong communicator and exceptional ability to give positive and constructive feedback
- Must submit a portfolio showing your ability to create artwork in a range of different styles.
- Previous experience directly managing other artists
- Experienced with stylized games
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the Arts/Computer Arts or similar
Pocket Gems offers top-notch benefits, including Anthem PPO, Kaiser health plans, and free One Medical membership. We cover 100% of the cost of employees’ Medical, Dental and Vision premiums (and 75% of the cost for their dependents), as well as short and long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer flex spending & dependent care accounts, pre-tax commuter benefits and a 401(k) match. Pocket Gems is located in beautiful downtown San Francisco, one block North of the Montgomery Street BART station.
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.