Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As the Director of HR, you’ll lead and continue to build our People and Culture organization.
What You’ll Do:
- Own the delivery and effectiveness of core People and Culture processes and responsibilities including:
- Employee lifecycle activities (e.g., on-boarding, transfers, off-boarding, leave management)
- Employee relations
- Benefits planning and administration
- Compliance and policy management
- Office management (e.g., facilities and event planning)
- Payroll and 401k administration
- Manage and develop People Ops and Office Management team members
- Effectively partner with game teams to manage employee relations and provide guidance on complex employment matters
- Monitor and manage performance issues. Be a trusted advisor to employees and managers and ensure that the appropriate internal processes are followed
- Manage and periodically assess vendor services ensuring a high level of service and quality
- Ensure compliance with applicable labor and employment laws and regulations by accurately compiling and submitting data for mandated reporting at the federal, state and local levels
- Prepare, update, and recommend human resource policies and procedures
- Coordinate on programmatic initiatives that drive employee satisfaction and productivity
What You Bring to the People Operations Team:
- 7+ years of people ops or human resources experience including 3+ years of management experience, preferably in early stage companies
- Strong HR functional expertise; knowledgeable on employment law matters, employment legislation, and compliance management
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to communicate effectively to all stakeholders (managers and employees alike)
- Comfortable as a “hands-on” manager and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills while exercising sound judgement
- Proven experience handling confidential and sensitive information with the ability to exercise discretion and show good judgment; honesty, integrity, and trust building behaviors in all dealings is essential and required.
- Effective time management and organization skills
- Working knowledge and experience with HRIS systems, preferably with ADP Workforce Now
- Comfortable with G-suite and Microsoft Office applications
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.