Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As our Technical Operations Lead, you will create and implement scalable technical solutions and processes focused on data security and risk management issues affecting all Pocket Gems studios. You will provide technical mentorship to our Release Engineering and IT teams while they maintain the uninterrupted operation of our production and administrative network, game servers, and our MacOS-based build infrastructure. This is a role for a seasoned technical expert who is passionate about developing best-in-class infrastructure that keeps our data secure, and facilitates our ability to make games that our players love.
What You’ll Do:
- Own all technology risk management activities affecting our company, including our automated game and performance monitoring system
- Develop strategy and oversee implementation of appropriate data security protocols and technical controls (e.g. data encryption, auditing, incident management)
- Evaluate current state of systems and tools at PG, and create improvement strategies. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Assessing need for Test Engineers capable of enhancing and improving tools we need to deliver high quality outputs (e.g. Autobot)
- Working with Analytics and Finance teams to enhance and improve internal tools for budgeting, forecasting, and staffing purposes
- Improving and optimizing our current software for day-to-day operations (e.g. Jenkins, JIRA)
- Provide technical mentorship to our TechOps (Release Engineering and IT) teams; help them develop and grow their careers as they continue to bring uninterrupted access to our games and platforms
- Work closely with the CFO and other internal stakeholders to determine and present business cases for major technology projects and vendor partnership proposals
- Monitor ongoing changes in regulatory environment that will impact IT and risk management activities
What You’ll Bring to the Studio Ops Team:
- 8+ years of IT security and risk experience across Network and Information Security, Infrastructure, and Tools
- Degree in a quantitative discipline (CS, Engineering, Math, Econ, etc.)
- Understanding of programming languages (e.g. C, C++, Java) and IT infrastructure (e.g. Windows and iOS operating systems)
- Working knowledge of Release and/or Test Engineering processes
- Prior experience hiring, managing, and mentoring individuals with a variety of technical skill sets and backgrounds
- Strong project management skills
- A practical, flexible, and collaborative approach to problem solving
- High degree of self-motivation and solutions orientation
Extra Gems For:
- Previous experience working in tech startups and/or the gaming industry
- Previous experience with accounts for Apple and Google, such as iTunes Connect, Google Play, Apple Developer
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.