Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As an Engineering Manager, you will use your previous game development experience to lead, manage, and contribute code with a team of passionate engineers to ship an unreleased mobile game. You will engage and develop engineers on your team, and guide their efforts as they undertake a wide variety of technical challenges. You’ll also contribute code on a weekly basis to new features and new projects.
What You’ll Do:
- Code and manage a team to get a new, unreleased game out the door!
- Engage and develop your team of engineers in their skills and careers
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to the team in software engineering best practices
- Balance the technical and product roadmaps within the team
- Collaborate closely in a small, nimble, cross-functional team with creatives in an iterative agile environment, providing (and receiving) regular feedback to/from product managers, artists, engineers, and designers
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from ideation to specification to release
What You Bring to Engineering Team:
- 6+ years of engineering experience, of which at least 3 years were spent in a hybrid coding and people management role
- Strong team building and empowering skills; you love building and mentoring scalable and high-performing teams of engineers at all levels
- Fluent in C++ or C#
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP
- A love for gaming development
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Extra Gems For:
- Prior entertainment or gaming industry experience
- Experience in Unity, Perforce, and AWS
- Extra interest in building and playing core games, such as FPS, RTS, MOBA, RPG
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.