Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As a 3D Technical Artist Summer Intern within our Core Studio, you will work with and be mentored by experienced technical artists with decades of collected experience in the game industry. You will gain valuable knowledge and hands-on experience in making AAA quality mobile games as a contributing member within a cross-functional game team.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with artists and animators to implement and optimize actual game assets through the art pipelines gaining insight into how games are built
- Improve quality of the game by troubleshooting visual issues implementing improved techniques and monitoring performance of the game
- Collaborate with Technical Artists and Engineers on the development of art pipelines including pipeline tools, shaders, rigs, and in-game technology
What You Bring to the Art Team:
- Undergraduate, Graduate Level student or recent graduate (within 3 months of graduating) pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Game Design and Development, Animation, Computer Science or related field
- Comfortable with at least one development language such as MEL, Python, C#, or C++
- Solid foundation in understanding game art pipelines and asset optimization
- Proven problem-solving and prototyping abilities with attention to detail
- Excellent work ethic, good communication skills, and a great team player
- A passion for video games, of course!
- You’re a master in one or more technical skills including; VFX, animation, character rigging, tools scripting, or shader development
- You’ve worked on a team that produced a polished game
- We are looking for students going to U.S. universities, graduating in 2018 or 2019
- A link to a portfolio or samples of your work are required for your application
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.