Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
Episode partners with major studios and industry stars to create stories such as Mean Girls: Senior Year, Demi Lovato: Path to Fame, Clueless: School’s Out, Pitch Perfect In Deep Treble, and Pretty Little Liars. Over 8 million storytellers have also signed up to create their own stories, including award-winning screenwriters and published novelists. Episode has made the list of the Apple’s Top 10 iOS games of 2017!
As a Release Engineering Technician, you will split time across our Release Engineering (RE) and Quality Assurance (QA) teams, collectively providing Pocket Gems the ability to ship quality products in a safe, systematic way. Together, these teams put in place process, tools, and infrastructure that allows teams to ship product. You will support the RE team with specific efforts related to submits, releases, builds, and tools improvements with particular emphasis on the Episode studio. You will also spend time supporting the Episode QA team by providing test coverage for development features of upcoming Client and Writer Portal releases.
What You’ll Do:
- Release Engineer Technician Responsibilities
- Manage all submissions and releases (iOS and Android) for Episode studio
- Provide Episode game team with support on all Episode build related issues
- Monitor and maintain RE builds servers and machines
- Handle miscellaneous tasks, such as setting up In-App Purchases (IAP), pushing through changes to App Store, provisioning of devices, and account/permission management
- Identify improvement opportunities for RE tools and processes, including exploration and implementation of new technology, continuous build integration, automated testing, and release management processes
- QA Responsibilities
- Manage features from Episode team pod (2-3 per sprint), which includes writing test cases, creating test plans, testing and reporting bugs, and triaging bugs
- Run the QA Checklist for the weekly Portal releases
- Collaborate effectively with Engineers, Product Managers, and Designers to develop your features
- Recognize test case deficiencies and propose improvements
- Be a strong proponent of quality and process on the Episode team
What You’ll Bring:
- 2+ years of experience in QA or equivalent discipline
- Passion for testing with an understanding of QA methodologies
- Ability to write relevant, actionable, and reproducible bug reports that stand up to withering scrutiny
- An appreciation for software development processes
- Familiarity with the iOS, OSX, and Android ecosystems
- Understanding of scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability
- Demonstrated track record of responsiveness, reliability, and patience
- Service-oriented attitude
Extra Gems For:
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience with Jenkins (or other build systems), GIT (or other SCM), and XCode
- Passion for releasing mobile games
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.