Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009, and it continues to be our mission today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As an Engineering Manager for our Backend Development Team, you will scale our infrastructure to facilitate the processing and recording of billions of events per day. You will lead some of our biggest projects as you build APIs that enable us to deliver offers and recommendations to millions of players in real-time games. As a member of the engineering leadership team, you will guide and manage, as well as technically lead a team and contribute code with passionate engineers to ship our mobile games, delighting millions of players around the world.
What You’ll Do:
- Engage, mentor, and develop an small group of engineers; coaching and developing the team, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making
- Lead and participate in technical scope; including design, coding, and decision-making, as well as product innovation, all to create scalable and robust features
- Collaborate closely in small, nimble, and cross-functional teams
- Balance the technical and product roadmaps within the team
What You Bring to the Engineering Team:
- 5+ years of engineering experience, including at least 1 year of relevant engineering team management experience
- Strong team building and empowering skills; you love building scalable and high-performing teams of engineers
- Holistic full-stack understanding; including optimizing database transactions to build distributed systems and frontend web applications
- A love for delighting users, both internal and external, with reliable tools, data, and creative and highly technical solutions to their problems
Extra Gems for:
- An advanced degree in computer science, engineering, or relevant field
- Deep experience with AWS, Pub/Sub, Google App Engine, and related backend technologies is a plus
Note: Prior entertainment or gaming industry experience is NOT required
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.