Pocket Gems wants to build the greatest games and interactive entertainment in the world. That’s the mission our founders began with in an apartment above a pizza shop back in 2009 and we continue it today.
Pocket Gems has grown to over 250 people in San Francisco. With $155 million in backing from Sequoia Capital and Tencent, we’re constantly breaking new ground with graphically rich mobile games, fun new genres of mobile entertainment, and innovative technologies like our mobile-first Mantis Engine.
Our products have been downloaded over 325 million times by players around the world. Most recently, we’ve launched Episode, a mobile storytelling network and platform, and War Dragons, a visually stunning 3D real-time strategy game.
As Senior Counsel, you will work closely with internal clients at every level of the company. The successful candidate will be a team player who is able to provide practical guidance while considering legal and business implications.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced attorney with a strong technology transactional background to join our legal team, on a part-time basis. This position can be remote.
What You’ll Do:
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial, licensing, development, and advertising agreements, including agreements with TV / film studios
- Counsel internal clients on applicable laws and assist in the development of compliance policies, procedures, training, and risk mitigation strategies
- Develop, improve, and maintain contract templates, standard forms, corporate policies and processes, and training programs
- Build and manage processes and workflows that can scale to keep up with the company’s growth
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver, and strategic thinker
What You Bring to the team:
- JD with a combined 5+ years experience in technology transactions or commercial contracts / licensing at both a major law firm and as part of an in-house legal team at a technology company
- Experience structuring, drafting, and negotiating a wide variety of development, technology, licensing, publishing, marketing, and commercial agreements
- Excellent judgment balancing legal risks with business strategy while maintaining the highest levels of ethics and integrity
- Excellent technical drafting skills and deep understanding of intellectual property issues in the context of complex commercial, licensing, and technology transactions
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Superior interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills
- Keen attention to detail while being able to focus on the bigger picture and larger business strategy
- Admitted to California State Bar
Extra Gems for:
- Interest in mobile gaming and/or entertainment
- Startup experience a plus
Pocket Gems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.