The target locations for this position is our San Francisco office for Pocket.
We’re looking for a passionate, driven and experienced Design Lead to help us shape the future of content by crafting world-class user experiences across Pocket’s entire platform.
At Pocket we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become essential to how people discover and consume content on any device. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges in front of us that will excite you.
Design has always been at the center of all that we do at Pocket and you would be the design leader helping to shape its culture, team and process moving forward.
We're a small team that has the resources of a large company (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017) and that means lots of opportunity to own projects from start to finish that have tremendous impact on large numbers of people, across many different devices and platforms. Your role will fundamentally affect the success of Pocket.
There are countless UX challenges in our pipeline and you’ll be at the forefront of our efforts, directly responsible for decisions that form the product and impact the daily experience of millions. You’ll use your full range of skills from user experience, interaction design, visual design and user research to build impactful experiences.
Come work with us and make a big impact.
What you’ll do:
- Design and create great products
- Work with our tight-knit, collaborative team, guided by a highly iterative design process
- Design product experiences across Pocket’s entire platform for all major software platforms (including iOS, Android and Web) from concept to completion
- Validate ideas and design decisions with qualitative and quantitative feedback by conducting and analyzing user research
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, data analysts and support teams to define the product and user experience strategy.
- Push the visual style of Pocket forward and help maintain its consistency by designing and documenting visual systems and style guides
- Help grow and foster Pocket’s design culture
- Take an active role in refining how our Design team works and actively help recruit and improve our design hiring process
- Manage Pocket’s designers and ensure that individual designers have clear goals, career coaching, and the support they need to do their best work
What you already have:
- A strong, diverse portfolio of design projects that show excellent product design skills
- 4+ years design experience
- Experience and comfort designing engaging user experiences for desktop, web and mobile apps (iOS and Android)
- You excel at validating concepts through research, low and high-fidelity prototyping and user testing.
- You are equally comfortable working the details of your designs at a pixel-perfect level and you think in terms of design systems
- A strong point of view on design and a sensibility that fits with the Pocket style
- Great communication skills. You should be able to clearly articulate your design decisions and what problems they’re solving
- You think at a high level about product strategy and vision, while recognizing how your work impacts it
- You are self-driven and thrive in an environment with short feedback loops
- You should be comfortable giving your opinions and seeing your vision from concept to launch without a lot of hand-holding
- Obsessive attention to detail
Pocket (Read It Later, Inc) was founded in 2007 by Nate Weiner to help people save interesting articles, videos and more from the web for later enjoyment. Once saved to Pocket, the list of content is visible on any device — phone, tablet or computer. It can be viewed while waiting in line, on the couch, during commutes or travel — even offline.
The world's leading save-for-later service currently has more than 30 million registered users and is integrated into more than 1,500 apps. It is available for major devices and platforms including iPad, iPhone, Android, Mac, Kindle Fire, Kobo, Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera and Windows.
Learn more on our blog.To learn more about the Mozilla acquisition of Pocket, please visit our blog.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to growing diversity in our workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.